Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: Transmission Temperature

Well guys;
I couldn't get to Salinas to pick up my van but I talked to them... and guess what they said...

SEE ABOVE POST !!!!!!!

That's right, It is entirely within FORD FACTORY TOLERANCES!!!! And not only that, even though it gets into the 240's it will puke transmission fluid out the breather at 230 deg., and THAT'S PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND it looks like I'm going to have the privilege of paying for the diagnostics (at least $150 at minimum). And the domestic auto manufacturers wonder why the industry is in the crapper.

I'm a little upset...
Bill

Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #42
Site Team

Bill,

Not much consolation, but get them to put their statement in writing, and document, document, document. If you have trans problems in the future, you'll have something to back up your position when you take on Ford.

I think you can also talk to a regional customer service rep for Ford, though I'm not sure that would help.

BTW, can you get your Ford dealer to show you where the factory trans temp tolerances are documented? The temp limit seems to be some kind of mythological creature that no one has ever seen before.

Good luck and keep fighting,
Herb
Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #43

Thanks for the advice Herb, I'm going to try to do all those things. However, the other day when I asked them "How hot is too hot?", they wouldn't commit themselves noway!
I got on the Google thing and asked auto transmission How hot is too hot? and on the second page found a very interesting article by Roscommon Equipment Center in allegiance with the New Jersey Forest Fire Service's Solution to High Temperature Problems in Ford F-350 and F-450.
Basically, they had the same problem and added a Flex-a-Lite # 45951 Fan Assist Heavy Duty Oil Cooler and the problem went away. It was from that article, that I quoted the temp parameters in my above posts.
I'm going to go get my truck right now, and when I come back over the hill, I'll see if the re-programming helped
I'll let y'all know what they said.
Bill
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #44

Bill...

I would suggest calling Jay Minto ((650) 562-2225) at Towne Ford in Redwood City, explain your problem and ask him to ask his Service Manager. Jay is the Fleet Manager who sells all of the Fords to SMB West. I'm sure you'll get a straight answer. Let us know..
Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #45

Skywagon's links (I think):

Roscommon Equipment Center - Wildland Fire Trucks:

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/

PDF of Newsnote #15 on Automatic Transmission Fluid Overheating:

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com ... s/nn15.pdf

Interesting reading...
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #46

OK, here it is-
This is what it says on my copy of the work order: (And this is all that they'll say, PERIOD!)

"Customer states tranny slips when vehicle is warmed up
Check and advise
Reprogrammed TCM
Diagnosis scanned checked for codes. None checked tranny temp 62 when cold and 187 when hot Checked transmission level OK. Reprogrammed TCM called tech hotline this is normal temp operation for this vehicle. The transmission will vent at 230 degress (sic) and will set a warning lamp and DTC at 275 degreess" (sic)

They wouldn't listen to my statements that I had seen over 240 deg., nor would they commit to any other statement than that quoted above. Basically, they said that if it burns up, bring it back.

I believe I'll call Jay Minto and ask his advice.
Bill
BTW, I didn't say that the tranny slips when warmed up. I said that the tranny seems to run 30 - 50 deg. hotter than it's siblings and that the tranny slips when it gets HOT!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #47

John,
I reread your post re: leaking fluid. They told me (see my last post) will "vent" at 230 deg..
Could this be your "leak" ?
Bill
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #48

Bill,

First I can verify that when you get over 230 you may get a nice coating of transmission fluid on the underside of you SMB. On the way to Dever this month I blew 1 quart of fluid out the vent.

Yesterday I was looking at the front of my van to find a good location to mount the extra cooler that I just purchased and noticed that the big blue Ford emblem is mounted directly in front of the transmission cooler, not only that but with the grill work above and below it is almost the same size as the transmission cooler. Now I am not an automotive engineer but I would think this would create a dead spot in the air flow that would drastically reduce the effectiveness of the cooler. Take a look at your van you will really be surprised. Today it is supposed to get up to the hight 70's here and I have a pretty good couple mile hill on the freeway so I am going to run it with the grill in then remove the grill and run it again. I will let you know if this makes a difference.

John
Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #49

Thanks Ed, for bringing my post into the 21st century. Computers, (like automatic transmissions), are beyond my challenged mental horsepower!!!
Bill
Old 05-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #50

Thanks John-
I'll be up your way in a couple of weeks- I'll honk on my way through!
Bill