Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #121

Re: Transmission Temperature

Here is a chart on trans temps & its effects on fluid life. http://mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm

I would absolutly find a way to make the cooler from the F-350 or larger trucks fit in the van. There is no such thing as too cool on a 100+ deg day in 4-Lo crawling around the outback. Maybe check out the ones with built in fans & t-stats. http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page13.html

I had a 6 pass engine oil cooler 1.5"x 10"x 21" on our 04' 2500 Ram & it worked so well, I could not use it unless it was 80+ deg & i was towing. Otherwise, it created so much condensation in the oil, I had to change it at 2000 miles.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #122
Site Team

Garage

So far I've never made it to what our shops says is max "230 to 240". I've set my gauge to alarm at 220 and have hit as high as 225 before I pulled over. I'd like to add a extra cooler but would want to dissable it during the colder season. Possibly a smaller cooler with a fan that could be turned off during winter?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
So far I've never made it to what our shops says is max "230 to 240". I've set my gauge to alarm at 220 and have hit as high as 225 before I pulled over. I'd like to add a extra cooler but would want to dissable it during the colder season. Possibly a smaller cooler with a fan that could be turned off during winter?
Dave, you don't have disable a trans cooler in cold weather - the TorqShift has a thermostat built in.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #124

Dave ,
Mike is correct about the thermostat . We have driven thru the Dakota's at temperatures reaching 10 below zero and the trans worked fine , starting up the engine in the morning at these temperature's even with the Block Heater on all night is always a little unnerving to me
though ! But from the time we would pull out the Transmission worked very smoothly .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #125
Site Team

Garage

well that makes me feel better. It's the slow hard climbs that push the limit for heat in most cases. As long as it stays at operating temp I'll be happy.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #126

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

As some of you might remember, I started this thread because my transmission temps seemed to be higher than most of yours. So today when I took my van in to get the bed plate leak fixed, I mentioned that the temps were still high. They phoned me back this afternoon to tell me that it would take at least into next week to fix the bed plate problem and at the same time told me that my transmission temp problem was caused by the fact that I had a black grill instead of the "FACTORY" chrome grill... This is the big Ford truck shop in Salinas.
I said that the two grills were identical except for the fact that the chrome grill had even more
small bars in it, but the guy said it was an aftermarket grill. I got Jonathan at SMB West to send pictures of both and a note saying that the black grill was stock Ford. I guess the fight is starting.
I'm pissed that those dirtbags will try any tactic to weasel out of taking any responsibility for almost ANYTHING.
Bill
Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #127

Bill,

I think some of the Ford dealers just aren't familiar with the diesel vans and instead of just saying they don't know what they are looking at they make sh$% up. When we first started having trouble with our trans. temps we were in Utah and had transmission fluid boiling out all over the underside of our van. When we arrived in Denver we took it to one of the Ford dealers there and were told we had the wrong transmission cooler, and this was from their "transmission expert". Of course it turns out it is the correct cooler for the van he just didn't know what he was talking about.

Stupid people suck!

Sorry to hear about your bed plate leak. We have oil seeping from our bed plate and haven't decided if I just want to live with it or try to get Ford to fix it. Please keep us posted.

Cheers,
John
Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #128

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Wilco John-
I had the same deal; about one drop on the driveway each day. However, it ain't gonna get better on it's own, and I figured that I might as well get it fixed under warranty. Having said that, I shudder to think of all the opportunities Ford has to screw up other stuff that works fine now!!!!!!!!!
The latest is two weeks in the shop- (which probably means three). Scatter and I had some trips planned which look like dreaming now.
Oh well,
Bill
Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #129
Site Team

Garage

OK, I'm about to have a local company called Valley Hybrids install a trany cooler. After discussing with Georg, he felt a non electric cooler might be a better choice over a small unit fitted with a fan. I just E-mailed him this post. I also sent him Badgers post which holds merit. My big gripe with fan units is if the fan fails. Georg showed me some aluminum versions that might be a good choice. Looking for any advice here folks.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #130
Site Team

Garage

BTW Valley Hybrids is a great place to have work done on a host of things, and did a repair to my atlas transfer case. Advanced Adaptors recommended this place and although they specialize in Land Cruisers, they have been a fantastic to work with. Unique fabricators who are located in Stockton Ca and can tackle a variety of things. So far I'm glad to find a shop like this, local and trustworthy. If you're in a jam and in the area their number is 650 576-2023