Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2023, 09:55 PM   #1

Anyone service Starcool in PDX area?

My 1998 Chevy G2500 engine AC is out. AC clutch not getting power. Mechanic blames “customer wiring” for preventing diagnoses. I have sent them the Starcool manual and electrical diagram, but no luck yet (they don’t work on RV systems)

I am looking for someone in the Portland area who knows Starcool

dscottfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:03 PM   #2

Posted more details here: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post322205
dscottfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:07 PM   #3

I replied on the other thread too i I'm in White Salmon and my mechanic just became very familar with the wiring for my 95 starcool system
dorothyt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:53 PM   #4

Definitely check the capacitor. Mine went bad on my 1998. Actually, if I were you I’d just go out and buy a new cap anyway. They are relatively cheap and easy to DIY swap out, and it won’t hurt to have a new one. Often you can tell just by looking: a bad capacitor often has a bulging/rounded top (but not always). Anyways, just replace it regardless. I also added a “soft start” boost capacitor at the same time. I have a write up somewhere here in the forum.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Definitely check the capacitor. Mine went bad on my 1998. Actually, if I were you I’d just go out and buy a new cap anyway. They are relatively cheap and easy to DIY swap out, and it won’t hurt to have a new one. Often you can tell just by looking: a bad capacitor often has a bulging/rounded top (but not always). Anyways, just replace it regardless. I also added a “soft start” boost capacitor at the same time. I have a write up somewhere here in the forum.
Do you know your starcool version?
I’m hoping it’s the same as my 95? And would you happen to know what your capacitor was? I would like to replace mine in hopes that that is actually what’s wrong.(not a bust compressor.) I ran these ideas pass by Mechanic today and he said it was definitely possible and he’s happy to replace the capacitor if I get one, I’m just trying to not pay him any more labor for troubleshooting.
It looks like getting to my capacitor, requires quite a bit of dis-assembly. The control box is above the compressor.
dorothyt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 06:21 AM   #6

I don’t have my 98 van anymore to reference. IIRC it was a standard capacitor that I was able to get at my local HVAC/refrigeration dealer. It should be in a metal box underneath the van near the Starcool fan and compressor. Should be fairly easy to get to. Find it and just note the number on it. While I was in there I also proactively replaced the relays and added an additional “soft start” capacitor to give an extra boost to the compressor on startup. Both the capacitor an relays are easy DIY as you just unplug the old one and replace with the new one. The soft start just gets wired in-line and is easy to add on.
https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacito...arting-Torque/
Old 07-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #7

BrianW -- was that an "Easy Start" - or "Soft Start" -- roughly $ 395 there-about ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 04:53 PM   #8

BrianW - or was it the round style of soft start - do you remember was it specific to 12 volt or 110-115 volt easy start ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 08:59 PM   #9

Looks like my link didn’t work. And I misspoke: it was a “hard start” add on, not soft start. In any event, it was the basic round one that is pretty cheap.

https://www.grainger.com/product/4E240
Old 07-14-2023, 11:47 PM   #10

You said”the ac clutch”. I assume you mean the compressor clutch on the engine? If so, a capacitor won’t help, it’s to help start the 110vac compressor, not the engine driven one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airconditioning., mechanic, service, starcool