Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2023, 10:02 PM   #1

Engine AC compressor, no power to clutch.

1998 Chevrolet G2500 van body. AC went out. had compressor replaced but there is currently no power to the compressor clutch, so the new compressor won’t engage.

My mechanic is blaming “customer wiring” I.e. the Starcool system for being unable to diagnose. I provided the Starcool Manual and wiring diagram, but so far no luck. It looks like from the diagram that the only interface to the engine compressor is right off a fuse block, past the “40 amp manual reset breaker” but there is no indication if the block and breaker are SMB installed or factory, and no Indication of where they are.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Sort of cross posted in the Lappliance” sun https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post322204

dscottfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 06:10 AM   #2

There is no interface to the engine AC clutch (power wise) Starcool is an add on that does T into the freon loop and must operate when the engine is running. There will be other mods to the van electrical like an isolator which go between the alternator and the batteries ( start battery and house battery).

The interface to how the starcool operates on shore power or when the van runs is from the van ignition (12 volt source while running). The relay panel that you speak of will generally be under the gaucho or rear couch. I have provided you a link to a flow chart, it has a picture of the relay panel, first page.

Starcool Flow Chart
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:49 PM   #3

Where are you located?
ironically I just had my mechanic spend 6 hours on diagnosing that my compressor (the starcool add on for the shore power side) is kaput.
He is now quite familiar with the wiring for my '95, maybe he can help.
I'm in White Salmon WA.

I'm also looking for a replacement compressor in case anyone know of one. (Danhart no longer makes this model)
dorothyt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:28 PM   #4

Would a small compressor (same output as StarCool) used for chest freezers and the like be a possible replacement ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 06:22 AM   #5

I’d be worried about weather sealing since it’s exposed under the van…
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote