Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 11:14 PM   #31

Re: Cold weather heating, your preferred choice?

I'm not sure the Wave 3 puts out a whole lot more though (?). Not saying the Wave isn't a nicer heater (and it's great not to have to deal with the disposable cylinders), but I think both the Wave 3 and the Coleman Blackcat put out 3,000 btu. I went from the Little Buddy (also uses the green disposable cylinders) - which puts out 3,800 btu - to the Wave 3 and didn't notice a huge difference, but the Little Buddy did seem to put out a bit more (as the rating would support).

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage

Sorry I was looking at the wave 6 not the 3. I just like the shape of them compared to the Mr Buddy brands. I have the little Coleman Blackcat and it just didn't produce enough and was difficult to stow. They also are designed around those small propane tanks that I don't carry. My buddy Don tried the Coleman in his tent and it wasn't nearly as nice as either of the Mr Buddy's two larger models that he owns. The problem with the Mr Buddy heaters is they seem to be prone to high altitude. He seems to get them to work but says they flame out from time to time. A nice thing about the Mr Buddy heaters is you can run them off a larger tank so you'll get a longer run time and nothing to throw away. At one time Coleman made a Blackcat heater for golf carts that had a battery operated fan in it. They did eat batteries and was larger in size but did slightly better than their non fan heater and was fairly stable.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #33

I have both a Coleman catalytic heater and a Mr Buddy. Yes, the plastic arms on the catalytic heater broke almost at first use, requiring a jury-rigged arm to keep it upright. I got the Mr Buddy because the catalytic heater does not put out enough heat to warm a van when it's cold, never mind when it's freezing or below. In fact even huddling right in front of it to get dressed in the morning is not very pleasant. While the cat heater is nice in some ways, the low heat and low emissions of CO are a safety factor but it barely puts out enough heat to warm feet right in front of it. The Buddy, on the other hand is so hot that I have to back off a bit or risk getting too hot. I have an extension hose that allows me to run either off a big tank.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #34

Okay, the Wave 6 would be a different story. And I agree the "flat" form factor is nicer, in addition to the easy ability to run off a large tank.

It hadn't really dawned on me that the Buddy heaters would be so much warmer. The Wave 3 is definitely not cutting it for me, so I've been considering various options (the old-style BlackCat is used in a different application). I do like it warm though, when it's cold outside.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #35

on cold mornings I put the kettle on our little 12,000 BTU butane stove and do double duty (yes with proper ventilation)...
**Boil water for the AeroPress coffee
**Take the chill out of the cabin.

Even in our full time rig (43ft toy hauler) we rarely have heat on even during the day unless outside temps drop below 50. We just bundle up. And also do not run heat at night except if outside temps are going to drop below 40. Then I set a small 750watt electric to 40 and let it do its thing. We like sleeping in a cold room bundled up and snuggling under a comforter.

YMMV
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #36

Can you safely use a portable propane heater (Wave 3, Buddy, etc) in a closed Sportmobile van?
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 276-5715
Scamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #37
Site Team

Garage

I guess it depends on whether or not you allow air flow through. One of my friends uses a Buddy heater in his tent all the time when we're out and about. He's still livin but there have been times where he never woke up for hours and it kind of freaks me out...I just attribute that to the alcohol

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamron
Can you safely use a portable propane heater (Wave 3, Buddy, etc) in a closed Sportmobile van?
Depends on how you define "safely"......

The Mr Buddy heaters have a tip over switch, a low oxygen cutoff, and a thermocouple that will cut fuel delivery if the pilot light goes out.......nifty design. And the marketing literature says safe for indoor use. All that being said, it consumes oxygen from inside the van for combustion and emits the products of combustion inside the van as well.

Like other things in life, you need to ask yourself if it's worth dying over........I installed a Propex. Uses outside air for combustion air and exhausts the products of combustion to the outside. Most folks who use buddy heaters crack a window and turn them off at bedtime. Wouldn't hurt to have a CO detector as well.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #39

I have a propane furnace, works great and very quite. I do the same as the two previous post. sleep in good down comforter and roll over in the am and turn furnace on.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamron
I'd say you cannot safely use a Wave 3 in a closed van. The reason is that the Wave uses oxygen as part of its burning process. So, if you don't have any openings ("closed" van), no new oxygen can come in. Obviously this is not good for humans.

For this reason, the Wave instructions specify exactly how much ventilation you should supply. It's best if it's in two "crosswise" areas (window on each side of van, window plus a skylight, etc.). IIRC the amount for a Wave 3 is 24 square inches, which is basically a 12" high window cracked open one inch, plus a typical 14" x 14" roof vent slightly cracked. Yes, this lets cold air in, which reduces efficiency, but then a vented system lets heated air out the vent/chimney, so you are losing some heat either way (albeit maybe less noticeable via the vent). Basically NO heat source is really safe in a closed up van; with the Wave you "make the vent" each time; with an installed furnace the vent is already in place.

I have and use a Wave 3, but that's not to say I think it is the ultimate heater. Like most things, there is often no clear "best" choice, and I may very well change to something else. OTOH, the Wave was easy to install (I had a propane supply line from a removed furnace), and it is easy to store away when not in use -- or leave at home for the summer. It's also silent and uses no electricity. But I certainly wouldn't turn down a Propex - they look very nice. Too, you have to remember to open the "vent" (window or other) with the Wave, whereas this is already done for you simply by installing a vented heater. Also, I'm lazy and would prefer to reach over to a thermostat from under the warm sleeping bag, than get up to light the Wave