Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #121

Garage
Re: Espar Heater Problems

New question to this old thread.

Where do you find the fuse to the Espar heater? I have a D2 with the 7 day timer mounted on the passenger side wall. Its showing a fault code of F112. I can't do anything to the unit now, seems to be locked up. F112 doesn't exist in the manual or anywhere but reading this thread someone suggested pulling the fuse for other issues. Thought I might try that.

Mike

Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #122

I have the EB-50. The furnace fuse is located on the main bus under the seat. Its marked fuse #6, 15 amp furnace. I have never pulled it to verify though.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #123

I feel so left out
Where is the 9 page Suburban problems thread??
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #124
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
I feel so left out
They are spread out in several posts

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
I feel so left out
They are spread out in several posts

Touche'
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan
New question to this old thread.

Where do you find the fuse to the Espar heater? I have a D2 with the 7 day timer mounted on the passenger side wall. Its showing a fault code of F112. I can't do anything to the unit now, seems to be locked up. F112 doesn't exist in the manual or anywhere but reading this thread someone suggested pulling the fuse for other issues. Thought I might try that.

Mike

First off the fuse at the main connector is the control voltage fuse. The main fuse is at the battery or at least should be. If either is blow you will not get a read out on the display.

Second no such thing as an F112. What you have is a F12 in the fault 1 position or F1. So the readout appears to be F112 but if you look their is a bit of a space between the F1 and the 12. F12 is over heat. If it over heated to many times in a row it will lock up. My advise is to go to www.espar.com and down load the timer instructions.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #127

Garage

Thanks for all the advice. I found the fuse and pulled it and it reset the system. Or at least it removed the fault code and things seem back to normal. I will run the heater when I get home tonight and make sure its working as before.
My wife was playing with the timer settings while the heater was running and it locked up. It wouldn't let us do anything at all.

Greg, you're right. There was some space between the F1 and the 12. We were wondering if it was a different code since we couldn't fine F112 in the manual. We downloaded the manual last night. Most of the info was in our book that came with the SMB when we bought it used.

Charlie, we have an RB50 and the fuse box is under the seat where you said it would be. Couldn't get my head far enough in to see the labeling but it was the 5th fuse down the rack. It looks like it might have been in the 6th slot location though.

Thanks for the help. I'm starting to use the wealth of knowledge on this forum. There is always someone with an answer or the experience to help.

Mike
Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #128
Site Team

Garage

Mike if you get that code again there are a few thing you'll want to check on the Airtronic:

Sometimes it just fails to start and needs to be restarted. I have also got into the habit of running it on full high for 10-15 min @ start and then let it ramp down to the preferred temp. I’V been told that it never hurts to open windows and let the unit run at a higher level rather than closing up the van and running it at a low setting but actually so far I haven’t had problem running it on low. When I shut down in the morning, I do run it on full high for 15 min before the final shut down.

After my control panel for the Espar was upgraded, I was totally confused for some time before I figured out what the hell was going on. I still am not 100% sure on the operation but think I have it down now. I don't know what timer you have, but if you have the separate timer switch, that switch must be turned on first, then turn on the Airtronic or the unit will time out on the default setting (mine is 2 hrs). It has to be done in the correct order. Here is an example:

>>Turn on timer switch>>turn on Airtronic>>set temp to high startup for about a 10 min operation>>re-adjust for preferred temp for continued operation>>shut off time switch>>display shows 15 countdown operation>>set to high temp until automatic shutdown.

On mine if I do it backwards, here is what happens.

>>turn on Airtronic>>turn on timer switch>>set temp to high startup for about a ten min operation>>re-adjust for preferred temp for continued operation>>unit runs for 2 hours and automatically shuts down.

On mine when I shut down the main Espar control switch after the unit is in operation, the timer shows a 15 min countdown to "off" unless I turn off that 15 min switch. This is usually in the morning when I open the doors and ramp it up to high for the final shutdown. I do know that if I do not activate that switch and turn on the Airtronic, it will run for the default time only (or what you have set the run time to) and then shut down. I’ve woke up in the middle of the night finding it very cold in the van because I turned on the Airtronic and then the 15 min switch.

Make sure the air intake or exhaust pipes outside the van are clear and unobstructed. Some have found mud or dirt in one of the air sources. It's buried in this thread. Some have capped these tubes when not in use, but I've yet to have this problem mainly because where mine are located they are shielded. Never try driving with the airtronic running...it will suck up dirt and dust.

Make sure the unit itself is not covered with equipment and has ample room around it.

If it ever flames out check the altitude switch...that has been the most common problem I've had. (Some units don't have an altitude switch)

The glow plug and screen needs to be maintained yearly but it took about 3 years before I had a problem with that.

Try to run the unit every month or so on high for 15 minutes min when its not been used.

Never let the fuel tank fall below 1/4 especially when the unit is running.

I don't know what Greg has to say on this because he is the repair center but since I've kept to these procedures I haven't had any trouble.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #129

Garage

Great information Dave.
I have a switch to the right of my timer module that we haven't figured out what it was for yet. I'm assuming it is the timer switch you are talking about. I'll give it a try tonight.

Still getting used to the features. I don't remember everything the former owner said about every switch and toggle and button he had installed. Haven't really had the time to fully enjoy our SMB and try everything out since we made the purchase in late November. We plan on spending as many weekends as we can exploring our neck of the woods, photographing and kayaking. We'll have it figured out before long though.

Bought a new Yakima kayak rack system that I will post as soon as I get it installed and get pictures.

Mike
Old 04-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan
Great information Dave.
I have a switch to the right of my timer module that we haven't figured out what it was for yet. I'm assuming it is the timer switch you are talking about. I'll give it a try tonight.

Still getting used to the features. I don't remember everything the former owner said about every switch and toggle and button he had installed. Haven't really had the time to fully enjoy our SMB and try everything out since we made the purchase in late November. We plan on spending as many weekends as we can exploring our neck of the woods, photographing and kayaking. We'll have it figured out before long though.

Bought a new Yakima kayak rack system that I will post as soon as I get it installed and get pictures.

Mike

Mike
Unless you think you need the timer you can get the latest digi controller for $125. It has actual digital readout of the temperature and you can set a specific temp. Still has the fault code reader.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote