Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #11

I am going to pile on here with what BrianW recommended. I would buy it and just replace the top entirely with a CCV top. In my opinion they are superior to the SMB ones and that water damage based on the pictures looks extensive.

At the price you are getting in at you would still be getting a bargain even with that additional cost.

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Thanks for the reply; it is a 2014 E350 SMB 4x4 with 90K in upgrades. I'd like to use it and then maybe resell it in a couple of years. Unfortunately, it sat as the owner postponed its use and now is too ill to use it. It has 2500mi on it. Kind of crazy...

Boy Wonder has a detailed build thread on what the top takes to rebuild...He did more than what you might be in for as he cut out the van roof if I remember correctly........but it is a project....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #13

Replacing the ceiling panel and repairing the leak shouldn't be that big of a deal. If the OSB stringers inside the fiberglass are wet then ...well we already saw that a couple of posts above.

Personally I'd replace the entire ceiling panel with something else and ro-do the lights and about 5 other things, like holding up the canvas with something other than the ceiling panels ......but that's just me......

If one of the bolts holding the top on is leaking, great reason to replace the junk SMB hardware with 18-8 stainless hardware and fresh butyl sealant.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #14

Do you recommend butyl sealant for the hole that the wiring harness goes through in the roof. Any brand names? Much appreciate the input. Thanks!
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #15

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-RNG-MT...aravans-Marine

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-CableClam
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #16

I just had a solar panel, controller, wiring installed in my van - used Sikaflex (black) for the hole in roof. Pretty sticky/gooey - could have done a bit better with less I think. I had thought about clear gutter caulk - but went with the "flex." Good luck --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #17

The links from Nrobert10 hit a brick wall for me on Amazon -- just for anybody's info --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
I've replaced some of the plywood battens SMB used to hold down the canvas to the van roof. SMB used the cheapest crap available. I would not recommend getting more from them.
I completely agree, and because of this, do this.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Look at switching it out for a Colorado Campervan top or another SMB top. At the minimum I’d get new canvas.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop top leak