Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #1

Propex Location Question?

Ok I don,t want to hijack Mr Andersons Propex thread any longer so figured I have now receieved my 2211 heater and am trying to figure out location.
Would like to put it upright in the position shown but my question is,is it to close to the kick panel area for the heat outlet as I would run the outlet the 2-3" straight to the kick panel.And secondly would I need to run a cold air inlet or just leave the intake open.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
4A01ED9F-C853-43D6-B65E-DD91F1FFB9F7_1_201_a.jpg  

Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #2

Looks fine to me. I've installed one or two and put them pretty close. Just pay attention to whatever Propex's instructions are on placement and spacing. I don't remember if there's a hot side or a limitation on standing vs. lying flat, but it will be in the manual.

As for the fresh air inlet it is fine as is. Just make sure you don't let anything impede the flow of air. On one I did I put a small plywood wall beside it to make sure no other gear got jammed up near the fresh air inlet.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks 86Scotty,from the manual it appears to be fine but know a lot of you guys have considerable more experience with these installations.
The spacing will be more than shown as I was leaning it to get the picture.
The black lines drawn on the floor are a cross brace under the floor that I have to avoid for placement.
Thanks
Roger
Old 03-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

Ok here is another one to put out there!Compression fittings or Flare?
The Propex has come with a compression,but everything I have been reading is that flare should be used as it is better in environments where vibration is possible.
What are peoples thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Ok here is another one to put out there!Compression fittings or Flare?
The Propex has come with a compression,but everything I have been reading is that flare should be used as it is better in environments where vibration is possible.
What are peoples thoughts?
Thanks.

Hey Roger,

Thanks for starting your own thread - lol about hijacking the one I had going. Yeah I'm just about finished with my heater install and was planning on updating that thread with a full write up, but I don't want to do that until I have everything fully complete.

To answer your question though - I would go with flare. In my experience compression fittings tend to leak, a properly made flare connection should be really good. That said anything can leak if not properly connected. The HS 2211 has the singular compression fitting but that's the only one on my system, everything else is flare.

Re - install clearance, I found that I needed 6" clearance (from blue in/out duct) for the forced air in and out side of the unit because I was making a 90 degree bend of the heater hoses into the van. The gas line in side needs and 3" of clearance (from edge of unit) to accommodate the 90 degree gas line fitting, and for some reason I have that I need 7" of clearance (from edge of unit) for the combustion air and exhaust fuel line side of the box but I think that was to account for a 90 degree bend in those lines, I ended up mounting it such that these air and flue lines just go straight out from the unit. I went with an underbody mount, like I said I'll have that write up posted probably in about a week (I'm waiting on some final gas connections to arrive in the post)

Good luck with the install!
Old 03-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #6

Sounds like your installation is going well Mr Anderson,and looking forward to your write up in the future!
I made the big jump today and drilled the holes in the floor for the exhaust and air lines,and am now starting to think about how to route the gas line over to the tank on the passenger side.
Will be making a mounting bracket tomorrow for the heater as the ones supplied will not work for my application and am a little dissapointed with there mounting options as they could definitely have done a better job with adding a couple of extra screw holes on opposite edges.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #7

Flare fittings for me. Buy the cheap flare tool and add it to your toolbox. You'll use it again. IIRC I was able to get everything I needed from Lowes/Home Depot.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #8

Garage
Propex now offers sound insulated ducting. It nay not help with such a short run, but couldn't hurt.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #9

Scotty thanks,I have the flare tool and am assuming it is only a single flare so will be checking out Home Depot/Lowes to start the next fun job of plumbing.
And dhally thanks for the tip on the sound insulated ducting as that is why I headed in the Propex direction as I am looking for as little sound as possible.
Am also looking at probably replacing the cold air inlet with I think it was Boywonders recomendation of another exhaust pipe as I can see that the fabric one may not hold up to the elements very well.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #10

A critical detail that was not made clear in the manual for my Propex heater: the propane fitting on the heater is BSP thread (British Standard Pipe), not the North American standard, NPT. BSP and NPT are not interchangeable.
FordFan is offline   Reply With Quote