Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2023, 04:45 AM   #1

Side door cabinet?

Has anyone successfully built the side door cabinet that Sportsmobile has? A fully functional one that swings on the left and then fold down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSePTshSLn79BOCGYwSwPbQ?view_as=subscriber
NoR32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:05 AM   #2

Are you looking for ideas or one for sale? CCV made a pretty slick one for awhile, not sure if they still do.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 07:06 PM   #3

I was hoping to make my own copy cat. More interested in its construction and hardware. Ex. The hinges and how it’s reinforced. I have read some thread in the reinforcement.

I like the fact that it’s swings away from the door once and then both sides fold down.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:28 PM   #4

Anyone got links to premade ones that go in the side barn doors on Econolines? Not looking for one of the cloth ones, those ones look cheezy.

I considered flush mounting a marine access door and then building a fiberglass or sheetmetal inner box. That would be within my skillset.

Something like this
https://s3.amazonaws.com/boatoutfitt...70-110323F.pdf

I dont need a kitchen but the storage would be nice.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 09:54 AM   #5

I purchased one from SMB West, back when they still were that. It looks nice, but... Way too heavy as it was made with press board.... Then it started coming apart as the screws that hold it together were only sunk 1/2 way thorough the wood (to keep a clean finish). I had to sink my own surface screws in to hold it together. The design is really slick in function, but the build was not the best in my opinion. If someone has a deconstructed one and can make plans, and you are handy, I'd go that way. (Maybe get help with the counter top and go with something really nice.)
Sam C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:25 AM   #6

You can buy the frame from sportsmoblie with hinges and build your own cabinet around it. Then mount it so it swings in and barely touches floor when door is closed for more support
E350MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
I purchased one from SMB West, back when they still were that. It looks nice, but... Way too heavy as it was made with press board.... Then it started coming apart as the screws that hold it together were only sunk 1/2 way thorough the wood (to keep a clean finish). I had to sink my own surface screws in to hold it together. The design is really slick in function, but the build was not the best in my opinion. If someone has a deconstructed one and can make plans, and you are handy, I'd go that way. (Maybe get help with the counter top and go with something really nice.)

Exactly why I want to basically copy but use better materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350MAN View Post
You can buy the frame from sportsmoblie with hinges and build your own cabinet around it. Then mount it so it swings in and barely touches floor when door is closed for more support
Ah, this is very good to know. I just call them up I would assume?
Old 09-29-2023, 12:01 PM   #8

Garage
Just in case you haven't had the opportunity to see this video on the door pantry sold by CCV. It doesn't swing away from the door like the "newer" SMB ones do, but it does have three fold down shelves... Just an option the think about as you plan your project.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ley-11788.html