RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
Member
 
aarcaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 63
Sportsmobile Overhead Console

So I am in the works on my ground up build(link), and I keep jumping around from project to project and keep coming back to the idea for an overhead console. I want to try to match the same design that Sportsmobile has in their builds, but I'm having a hard time finding good reference pictures/ info on how its done. I have seen a few pictures on the forum of people in the middle of taking it down, but no details of how it attaches to the headliner section/ceiling members.
Some Images From the Web



So If anyone has some pictures of knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

Below are the main things I'm trying to figure out.

Questions:
Are the visors mounted in the original holes with the shelf notched around them, or are they remounted on the flat surface of the console shelf?

How is the console secured? I am assuming some combination of L brackets and self tapping screws into the main roof structure.

Is it just a stock headliner rewrapped in custom upholstery or is it some kind of custom headliner insert?

Thank you in advance!
__________________

__________________
Vandit - 2013 E250 Ground Up Build
aarcaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BrianW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,650
I took a bunch of pics of this very thing from my 98 SMB just before I sold it, as I was/am planning to replicate it for my 2011 SMB that doesnít have one. Itís pretty basic, just 1/4 plywood wrapped in fabric with a few wood blocks attached. Mounted to the ceiling with one l-bracket and the sun visor screws. Here are a few pics that I can find right now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6387.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	37908
__________________

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
Member
 
aarcaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I took a bunch of pics of this very thing from my 98 SMB just before I sold it, as I was/am planning to replicate it for my 2011 SMB that doesnít have one. Itís pretty basic, just 1/4 plywood wrapped in fabric with a few wood blocks attached. Mounted to the ceiling with one l-bracket and the sun visor screws. Here are a few pics that I can find right now.
Attachment 37908
Thank you, that helps a lot! If Iím understanding correctly the visors mount to the headliner through those large holes in the corner, right?
aarcaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 8,880
Yes, they do.

I came up with mine from scratch after seeing some pics of SMB ones. They are deep in my gallery somewhere. Did you see those? If not I can dig them up. As far as I know I am the only person who has taken a lot of pics of this but I certainly could be wrong.

As for mounting it to the roof you need to pull your headliner back and get a feel for where the double/reinforced sheet metal is near the windshield with a gap in between. You can screw in to this about anywhere with long sheet metal screws. It's pretty iffy how you have to mount one but it stays in place. You could get fancy and add some nutsert/rivnut type of things to the interior sheetmetal but it would require tearing up your headliner a good bit more.
__________________
Currently vanless. Weird.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,394
Two areas that will be your challenge-
1. Center rear support bracket - using the windshield stock doubled up metal along the front is easy. the rear center is more difficult as there is no doubled up metal there. If you have a CCV pop top you can just go through the roof metal as it is covered by the storage platform above. SMB pop top or stock roof will require a bracket to be glued or UHB taped to the inside surface.

2. The sun visors - to have them properly function and mount will require a spacer (like a puck) which will replicate the original mounting point and angle only lower so the visors clear the console. Drill a large hole as in BrianW pic, mount the puck to the original metal using offset metal screws. Then mount the visor to the puck spacer. The visor clips can be mounted (properly positioned) to the underside of the console.
__________________
Ray
Beastie 3: 2002 7.3 EB Cargo: Agile TTB, CCV Mid Top, Custom Walk Through, Lots of stuff added. BlingMyRig.com
1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
Member
 
aarcaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Yes, they do.

I came up with mine from scratch after seeing some pics of SMB ones. They are deep in my gallery somewhere. Did you see those? If not I can dig them up. As far as I know I am the only person who has taken a lot of pics of this but I certainly could be wrong.

As for mounting it to the roof you need to pull your headliner back and get a feel for where the double/reinforced sheet metal is near the windshield with a gap in between. You can screw in to this about anywhere with long sheet metal screws. It's pretty iffy how you have to mount one but it stays in place. You could get fancy and add some nutsert/rivnut type of things to the interior sheetmetal but it would require tearing up your headliner a good bit more.
I did come across your build thread on it! That was helpful and got the ball rolling for me. The thing I was unsure of was the whole visor part and how to get retain the function of them. Since I already have the headliner out and plan on reupholstering it I like the idea if rivnuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Two areas that will be your challenge-
1. Center rear support bracket - using the windshield stock doubled up metal along the front is easy. the rear center is more difficult as there is no doubled up metal there. If you have a CCV pop top you can just go through the roof metal as it is covered by the storage platform above. SMB pop top or stock roof will require a bracket to be glued or UHB taped to the inside surface.

2. The sun visors - to have them properly function and mount will require a spacer (like a puck) which will replicate the original mounting point and angle only lower so the visors clear the console. Drill a large hole as in BrianW pic, mount the puck to the original metal using offset metal screws. Then mount the visor to the puck spacer. The visor clips can be mounted (properly positioned) to the underside of the console.
Thanks for this info Ray! That makes perfect sense about using essentially a puck to just lower that mounting point while keeping the angel to retain functionality. I Will have to use some kind of glue for the center mount as my van is still stock for me.

Also I saw that your family was having a real nightmare with Covid. I'm glad to hear that things are headed in a better direction and your mom is doing better! Its good to see you back on here.
__________________
Vandit - 2013 E250 Ground Up Build
aarcaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
BrianW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,650
Here's a bunch of pics I took before I sold my 98 van with the visor. Still hope to make a new one for my 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6382.jpg   IMG_6383.jpg   IMG_6384.jpg   IMG_6385.jpg   IMG_6386.jpg  

IMG_6387.jpg  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
BrianW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,650
And some more. There were no additional supports for the visor brackets, they just screwed through the plywood and into the OEM holes. The center had a piece of metal bent into an L-bracket screwed into the OEM headliner (IIRC) and then the shelf screwed into that.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6388.jpg   IMG_6389.jpg   IMG_6390.jpg   IMG_6391.jpg   IMG_6393.jpg  

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
BrianW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,650
Found a few more that should help with the attachment details. So the attachment points are visor swivel bracket, visor clip bracket, center L-bracket, and screws at the edges (snap-top upholstery screws that double for the front-window curtain). Also shows where I ran wiring and antenna wire for a CB that I had installed in the shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6291.jpg   IMG_6292.jpg   IMG_6293.jpg   IMG_6294.jpg   IMG_6295.jpg  

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #10
Member
 
aarcaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Found a few more that should help with the attachment details. So the attachment points are visor swivel bracket, visor clip bracket, center L-bracket, and screws at the edges (snap-top upholstery screws that double for the front-window curtain). Also shows where I ran wiring and antenna wire for a CB that I had installed in the shelf.
Thank you For all the pictures and measurements! These are going to be a big help. I feel like I have a pretty good plan now. I will try to remember to take lots of pictures during the process and upload them to give more info for the next person who decides to do this.
__________________

__________________
Vandit - 2013 E250 Ground Up Build
aarcaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Lola

Eddie Haskell

The YURT

MKRyan
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×