Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 08:00 PM   #1

2004 E350 6.0 New Member from NC!

Hello everyone!

I just picked up a 2004 E350 ONE owner with only 63k miles. It has the 6.0 which is a bit scary, but being a one owner with very few issues since new and solid continued maintenance, my hopes are high.

Question for you, the truck is VERY clean but the wheels leave much to be desired. I will be towing 7k lb enclosed trailer with cargo and do not want to risk safety issues with the wrong wheel choice. I'd like to go with an 18x8 square setup, however all that I am finding are with the wrong hub bore size. I believe stock is 124.9 and the wheels I am finding are 130-131...

Does anyone know if these are lug centric? If so, would you be worried towing this much weight without correct / matching hub bore sizes? My thought was to do a hub centric ring, but I have little to no experience with those... we use hub centric spacers in the race car world! Thanks in advance and i look forward to building out the e350! It is a blank canvas at the moment, but I'd like to turn it into a "light" camper for when I am at the track at over night events. Cheers!

MysteryMachine33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:13 PM   #2

E-series wheels are generally lug-centric. Only the duallies are hub-centric.You don't need hub rings rings, but do re-torque the lugs regularly for the first 1,000 miles.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
E-series wheels are generally lug-centric. Only the duallies are hub-centric.You don't need hub rings rings, but do re-torque the lugs regularly for the first 1,000 miles.
Wow, where was this clear/concise opinion when I asked this question?

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ngs-29988.html
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Wow, where was this clear/concise opinion when I asked this question?

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ngs-29988.html
Haha, ironically I was reading that thread right after I made the post! Have you had any issues?! I think we are good to go, I am... much like you...overthinking!
Old 08-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine33 View Post
Haha, ironically I was reading that thread right after I made the post! Have you had any issues?! I think we are good to go, I am... much like you...overthinking!
Nah, no issues. Put about 3k miles on it so far and haven't touched the lug nuts.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:45 AM   #6

Garage
Congrats and welcome. Looks like your questions are getting answered.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:45 AM   #7

Garage
Let the good times roll!
Lot of great DIY Van builds available here to help provide ideas & inspiration.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:49 AM   #8

Thank you all for the help and PMs! The wheels I chose are heavier, but have a load rating of 3650, that was definitely something i kept in mind. I also went with Firestone HT2s as I saw some good reviews for those and they were "somewhat" affordable in a 245/70/17 (Went up an inch in tire size). I am also retrofitting some f250 tow mirrors on it and will be tinting the windows.

I'd also like to enhance the headlights but would prefer not to shell out another $700 for the full LED kit. Anyone have luck upgrading bulbs for a slight enhancement to hold me over?

I'll be taking the truck in immediately for a fluid flush / service as well - along with looking into the EGR delete to help it run cool!
Old 08-09-2022, 09:16 PM   #9

Next question of the day, i'd like to get some closed end lug nuts in dark gray or black. Are the threads / size in fact a 1/2 x 20 thread? I wasn't finding the answers here and wanted to go ahead and order these!

Considering these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08254GVT5/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1

Also curious if i will need extended ones or if i should just go open ended to be safe.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2022, 08:41 PM   #10

I’m fairly sure my 2006, 6.0 lug nuts were 9/16-18.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote