Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2024, 05:48 PM   #1

i bought a rusty smb

Hey guys.
I just bought a sportsmobile.

its a '93 extended ford 2wd with a 351. 94k miles.
it has a very loud valvetrain and poorly repaired roof rust.
I paid 12 grand for it.

if I can get it running right and get the rust dealt with I will be 4x4 swapping it with a timberline kit.

first Im going to try and get it smogged and registered and then wire wheel the roof/gutters and see how big of a mistake I made.
I also need to have a shop pull the windshield out and see how bad the frame is.

I will post more of my journey with this beast here in a build thread.
leave a comment and let me know how terrible my purchase was

Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5016.jpg   IMG_5017.jpg   IMG_5005.jpg   IMG_5010.jpg   IMG_5008.jpg  

Mwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:07 PM   #2

Hey Mitch -- welcome ! Be sure to search the forum for tips on rust/gutters ! -- and "smogging/registering" non RVI certified vans !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Hey Mitch -- welcome ! Be sure to search the forum for tips on rust/gutters ! -- and "smogging/registering" non RVI certified vans !
thanks a lot.

one thing I'm wondering is are there any tricks to getting the top to line up properly when down. whenever i pull it shut it seems to be too far to one side.

Mitch
Old 01-17-2024, 01:02 PM   #4

Need to be on (reasonably) flat ground - its not uncommon to have to push or pull the top a few inches to achieve an even set of the top. Hopefully - your scissor or "x arms " are not bent to one side or the other ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Need to be on (reasonably) flat ground - its not uncommon to have to push or pull the top a few inches to achieve an even set of the top. Hopefully - your scissor or "x arms " are not bent to one side or the other ?
thanks, it seems like it takes some practice.
I think ill try to make marks on the ceiling panel that line up with the inside lips of the roof frame when it is lined up properly. then i wont have to get out of the van to check it after I pull it down.
hopefully they're straight.

Mitch
Old 01-17-2024, 09:50 PM   #6

When I read it first I thought the vehicle had 351,94x miles. But only 94k miles? Hell it's just broken in! Hopefully the valvetrain stuff isn't serious. Post a video of what you mean. I am sure you know that engine noise could range from nothing to massive. Hopefully it's simple.

You have a mig welder? That and watch a few Lakeside Autobody videos and there's nothing you can't do.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
When I read it first I thought the vehicle had 351,94x miles. But only 94k miles? Hell it's just broken in! Hopefully the valvetrain stuff isn't serious. Post a video of what you mean. I am sure you know that engine noise could range from nothing to massive. Hopefully it's simple.

You have a mig welder? That and watch a few Lakeside Autobody videos and there's nothing you can't do.
yeah i really wanted it because of the mileage.
I need to give it an oil change and really get to know the thing.
the valvetrain noise isnt very loud its just weird to me that its ticking so much at 90k.

I have a tig welder and Ive done rust repair before. not really looking forward to doing more of it right now.

I will post a link here when I start a build thread for the van.
Cheers
Mitch
Old 01-19-2024, 02:54 PM   #8

build thread here:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post328274

Tags
1993, eb50, newbie, smb