Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #31

Garage
... lot of experienced members on this forum sharing "Pearls of Wisdom"...

***Had a good laugh with your link BroncoHauler!

Old 12-21-2019, 12:44 AM   #32

For all the wisdom on this forum, I do so love the humor that goes along with it. Life's too short to be too serious. 86Scotty, aside from your wisdom, you get my vote for the most "entertaining" posts...
Old 12-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #33

Glad to be of some use Glen. Happy Holidays!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #34

To everyone thank you very much for all the feedback and the humor that went along with it.

To be honest I was super bummed about the van thought I found a good one but I am grateful that all of you stepped in to inform me that wasn’t a great choice.

So I have stepped back and am re-evaluating what I want. So here is the next question. Does it matter if I go 250 over 350? And what engine should I look for/stay away from? I definitely want to convert to 4WD and the wife and I are very interested in the 250/350 high top look so I am all ears.

Thank you all again
CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #35

https://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/...030055617.html

I know it has a lot of miles but thoughts?
Old 12-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #36

That one looks fairly beat for the price. I am not up to date on California prices or availability but I would still keep looking honestly.

If you want to convert to camper here is my opinion. BTW, I've done several. I always consider a few things related to resale when shopping because I never keep anything that long.

E250 and E350 both fine for a conversion. Unless you can think of a bout 5 reasons why you think you might need a diesel don't even consider one. They are much more maintenance intensive and also more rare and valuable. Look for a 5.4l or 6.8l (V10). The fuel mileage on the V10 isn't much different than a 5.4l (average of probably 11 mpg vs 13/14). If you aren't going to drive it daily I'd look for a V10. Don't go as small as a 4.6, the only other one available. It's too small for a converted van. The most readily available van out there will be a 5.4l E250/E350.

Look for one with a power cab (power windows, door locks and cruise control). These are features every camper conversion should have. This is only my opinion but I feel strongly about it, especially for resale. Don't sink a lot of money in to a base work van. The creature comforts are worth having on road trips.

I'd look for 2005 or above if considering a V10 to get the 5r110 (5 speed) transmission. It makes the conversion easier and is a stout and wonderful trans. A 5.4l in an E250/E350 really needs at least the better 4r100 trans (instead of the 4r75 base one). This stuff can be found using VIN decoders (and folks here) when shopping.

Don't cave. We're discussing one of the most prevalent vehicles ever made. They are literally everywhere and since the line has been replaced there are more for sale.

Be willing to travel.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
That one looks fairly beat for the price. I am not up to date on California prices or availability but I would still keep looking honestly.

If you want to convert to camper here is my opinion. BTW, I've done several. I always consider a few things related to resale when shopping because I never keep anything that long.

E250 and E350 both fine for a conversion. Unless you can think of a bout 5 reasons why you think you might need a diesel don't even consider one. They are much more maintenance intensive and also more rare and valuable. Look for a 5.4l or 6.8l (V10). The fuel mileage on the V10 isn't much different than a 5.4l (average of probably 11 mpg vs 13/14). If you aren't going to drive it daily I'd look for a V10. Don't go as small as a 4.6, the only other one available. It's too small for a converted van. The most readily available van out there will be a 5.4l E250/E350.

Look for one with a power cab (power windows, door locks and cruise control). These are features every camper conversion should have. This is only my opinion but I feel strongly about it, especially for resale. Don't sink a lot of money in to a base work van. The creature comforts are worth having on road trips.

I'd look for 2005 or above if considering a V10 to get the 5r110 (5 speed) transmission. It makes the conversion easier and is a stout and wonderful trans. A 5.4l in an E250/E350 really needs at least the better 4r100 trans (instead of the 4r75 base one). This stuff can be found using VIN decoders (and folks here) when shopping.

Don't cave. We're discussing one of the most prevalent vehicles ever made. They are literally everywhere and since the line has been replaced there are more for sale.

Be willing to travel.

Thank you for all the information that is exactly what I was hoping to find. I feel like a lot of the vans that I have found are fairly expensive.

I will keep looking and will look at surrounding areas. The wife and I decided that if we have to travel to another state and drive it back we will. (I just have to be careful because of awesome California) yay
Old 12-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Glad to be of some use Glen. Happy Holidays!
Same to you sir...
Old 12-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #39

I will keep looking and will look at surrounding areas. The wife and I decided that if we have to travel to another state and drive it back we will.

I found mine in Portland, OR & I live in So. Cal (don't hold that against me...). I flew up to look at it, bought it, and drove it home. If I remember correctly the guy I bought it from originally found the van in Florida a year or two before selling it to me. I'm also pretty sure it was a stock 2WD work van when he bought it. He did the lift kit, 4x4 conversion, wheels & tires, shocks, added windows and did a bunch of other stuff during the time he owned it. I don't know what he paid for it, but it must have been a price that made it worth the effort to get it from Florida to Oregon.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage
I agree with 86Scotty, keep looking. A lot of colleges and churches sell off vans that are in reasonable shape. If you go out of state to places that salt the roads during winter, check for body rust. Our company sold off a 2002 with quigley 4x4 conversion at auction. That van was very well taken care of being it came out of a public utility here in the central valley.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote