Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

New SMB Member out of Oakland

Hi all,

Just joined up but I've been reading the forums over the past months. I picked up a used 2014 SMB out of the Texas location in Feb 2019 and had it shipped out to Oakland. They said it was in great condition when I had it inspected. I actually learned to drive on a 1970 Econline van and on the first freeway test it was obvious that the front end was not safe to drive (boo SMB in Texas) but that's what happens if you buy over the internet. With new ball joints and, later, new tires it now drives great.

I've been mostly getting out to the mountains and coast areas in it over the past year plus.

Hoping to give it some longer trips in Sept/Oct this year and get away from California for a little while to explore UT and AZ.

Grey Ford E350, 2014, 10v gas engine with full 4x4 conversion.

JonBertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #2

Welcome Jon!

You get super extra credit for your first post finding Nick's van, wow!

Please consider getting a Ravelco theft deterrent system installed ASAP. They offer AAA and military discounts.

Hopefully, we can get some meetups going here in the SF Bay Area!!
Old 08-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #3

Hi Ray,

I had a Ravelco installed last night!!

Seeing the other van stolen in my neighborhood prompted me to get one. They came by my house and installed it the day after after I ordered it - which is quite incredible service.

Makes me feel a lot happier parking the van out there.

I spotted the missing van mostly because of the distinctive color, checked the plates were from Michigan and got messages to the owner in every way I could think to. Glad it wasn't shipped off to another state.

Jon
Old 08-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #4

Garage
Yep, Welcome...and if they managed to recover that Maroon Van, you'll have a new best friend.
Tough pill to swallow when the first thing you have do is unexpected repairs, but at least now your FE shouldn't need any attention in the foreseeable future.

Need to post some pic's so we can admire from a distance. If & when you do, crop them just slightly first, then they will post in correct orientation. If you dont, you'll find many will post sideways or upside down. Most of us have learned the hard way.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

Twoxentrix,

You're right, I should have posted a photo or two. Thanks for the resize tip.

Here goes, maybe it was previously owned by another forum member. I don't know if this will work though, I just see a broken image icon using the image insert button.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ture43508.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ture43509.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ture43510.html
Old 08-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBertsch View Post
I had a Ravelco installed last night!! Jon
That is a great first move, way too many stolen vans in the Bay Area. I would also consider multiple layers of security such as a GPS tracker. If the Maroon van had one, he could have located it instantly. You will find plenty of threads here on security ideas, here's one to start. Best of luck and hope to see you on the road some day.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...and-26156.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #7

Hi Arctictraveller, thanks for the GPS tip. I am trying to decide what type of GPS unit to add - but I will probably pick something up fairly soon to add to the alarm and Ravelco system.

See you on the road!

Jon Bertsch
Old 09-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBertsch View Post
Hi Arctictraveller, thanks for the GPS tip. I am trying to decide what type of GPS unit to add - but I will probably pick something up fairly soon to add to the alarm and Ravelco system
Jon Bertsch
I looked at plenty of different GPS systems, but I didn't want to pay a monthly fee. I've used similar systems on commercial boats but was always annoyed by the monthly payments and yearly increases. The system I chose has no fees for 2 years and has the features I wanted.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #9

Yeah, for some reason Cali is the worst state for van thefts! I suspect that people are living in them since prices have gone so high on homes and apartments.
Really glad I don’t live there anymore! Best of luck!
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote