Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 04:21 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
Scheel-Mann seats are worth it. I love mine and very happy with the purchase. Think about it as an investment in yourself, not a van gadget...
While I don't (yet) own any of these I'd not be hesitant to install one or two if I did more than 150 miles at a time as I currently do. Sure the cost is up there but comfort costs so how comfortable do you really want to be?

Refreshing the foam in stock seats can really go a long way towards making them comfortable again--worth looking into.

As for buying and installing Sheel-Mann's I'd consider keeping whatever stock components they replaced and should the van ever be sold remove them before the deal goes through. Or you could show the vehicle with them installed and do the up sell thing---let the new owner decide how comfortable they want to be.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
Scheel-Mann seats are worth it. I love mine and very happy with the purchase. Think about it as an investment in yourself, not a van gadget...
Which model seats do you have?

Due to my height & not so great back, I've been seriously considering the Vario XXL-R. I'm just worried that the difference between these and the Sienna seats I now have won't be enough of a difference to justify the cost.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Which model seats do you have?

Due to my height & not so great back, I've been seriously considering the Vario XXL-R. I'm just worried that the difference between these and the Sienna seats I now have won't be enough of a difference to justify the cost.
I've had Sienna seats in the front of my Eseries and I now have Scheel-Mann VarioF seats. Huge difference. On long trips, the Sienna foam (behaves like memory foam) would just sink more and more until it was almost no cushion. For me, that caused all kinds of discomfort on my legs and lower back. The Scheel-Mann is very supportive and provides an even support along the base and back. I'm not that tall (6') but I do wish I would have gotten the XXL because of my longer torso.

The Vario has more bolster than other models. I have the Touring model in my Transit now, my wife's car has the Traveler model. Out of all of them, I fit better in the Touring seat with the smallest bolsters. As I continue to lose weight though, I'm fitting better into the Vario without feeling like it's tight.

With the Sienna seats, I could go an hour or so before I'd have to pull over and take a small walk to get my legs and back right again. Since I've had Scheel-Mann seats in my vehicles, I can drive an entire day without even thinking about it.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #14

Stock seats

The stock seats seem to be pretty comfortable, only thing is they don't have 2 armrests like a captains chair. I seen somewhere you can add a armrest to a stock seat? I would guess you would have to have an upholstery guy do something like that? Just curious.

With the cost of my build adding up I don't think I am going to be able to spend 2 or 3 grand on seats!!
Megalovon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #15

Garage
Probably the best article for Scheel-Mann seats - https://expeditionportal.com/the-bes...n-seat-review/
Old 02-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #16

Michael, thanks for the input. As much as I've heard about the sienna seats being better than stock seats, everything I've found so far on the Scheel-Mann seats indicates that, although a bit costly, they are THE seat to get if you are tall and/or have back issues. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to bite the bullet and get them, as it would be nice to drive longer than an hour or so before the discomfort sets in. And, I don't anticipate it getting any better as I get older...

Maybe you can answer this question; I have Brian Wilson's old van. It's a 2011 EB E350 that was converted to 4x4. It looks like he installed the U-Joint adapter that brings the 4x4 single shift lever closer to the driver's seat. I've been told that this will prevent me from using a swivel base for the Scheel-Mann driver's seat, as there isn't enough room for the seat to get past the shift lever. Others have told me that it "should" be Ok.

Not knowing anything about it, I don't think I'd be opposed to re-positioning the shift lever if needed to give me the clearance.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalovon View Post
The stock seats seem to be pretty comfortable, only thing is they don't have 2 armrests like a captains chair.
This threads been an interesting read, viewpoints chronicling the different pro's/con's & endorsements for driving comfort.
I too would upgrade immediately if I thought it would make a big difference, but at this stage have no motivation to convert simply because my stock seats are the most comfortable I've experienced... I've had no back issues AT ALL - even driving long hours at a time (on occasion 12-14hrs/day with just two or 3 brief "necessity" stops). Haven't been able to do that in any of the cars/trucks we've owned the last 20 years without popping pain pills for my lower back. Admittedly I have no experience with the Scheel-Mann seats, but my current relationship with what I have (fortunately) seems to be exactly what so many others are in pursuit of.

Megalovon, I agree having the additional armrest would be great!
Old 02-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #18
Wbp

I added seat covers to my stock seats with a lumbar support that made them a little more comfortable. I to would like to have double arm rests not sure if there is enough room for them.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #19

i have Stock OEM Seats in mine both have Arm Wrest on both sides. And Air Bag Lumbar Support in both seats. I did order mine this way from Ford but they do Exist.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #20

Would like to see some pics of those seats Vanzilla.
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote