Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #1

Activating cruise control without going to a dealer? (2014 Ford E-350)

I added a cruise control steering wheel to my 2014 Ford E-350. I tried using FORScan to activate it, and it's not showing up as an option.

Every Ford dealership I've checked with is booked out at least 3 months, even for something simple like this.

Can a Snap-On dialogistic scanner do this? Or someone that's not Ford?

I also need the speed limiter taken off. It limited to 75 mph.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #2

Can you please let us know what you saw/did in FORSCAN?

I am going down this road myself pretty soon. I ordered a very nice steering wheel to replace mine.

Did you replace the clockspring? A steering wheel swap may not be enough.
And where did you source your steering wheel buttons? That may also make a difference.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsherpa View Post
Can you please let us know what you saw/did in FORSCAN?

I am going down this road myself pretty soon. I ordered a very nice steering wheel to replace mine.

Did you replace the clockspring? A steering wheel swap may not be enough.
And where did you source your steering wheel buttons? That may also make a difference.
Here are the parts I ordered from TascaParts.com

1. Steering Wheel (Comes with cruise control switches already installed)
Part#: ac2z3600ba
Amount: $173.56

2. Clock Spring
Part #: ac2z14a664c
Amount: $68.95

Ford has to enable the cruise control in the ECM. I've read that FORScan can do it, but with the ODBII plug directly from FORScan and the paid edition, this is all I get:

Old 05-16-2022, 01:46 PM   #4

Looking for cruise stuff with my Bluetooth adapter, Forscan, and my 2009 6.0 I got skunked, and I'm still researching this. However:

Reading over here :
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19552
It looks like forscan sees the 09-12 E-Series van's as a group that have "ECU with FEPS" and require a specific cable that puts 18v on pin 13 in the programming process.
I just ordered a "vLInker FS adapter with the 18 volt FEPS signal" from Amazon to see if it helps me out.

Now, I see you have a 2014, and this may not be helpful. However there is indication that maybe the right programming tools can do this, its just a bit more complicated than that.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #5

But this thread means your may be in a "newer" realm of fords, FMFU vs FEPS, so there is hope.
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18751
Old 05-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Looking for cruise stuff with my Bluetooth adapter, Forscan, and my 2009 6.0 I got skunked, and I'm still researching this. However:

Reading over here :
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19552
It looks like forscan sees the 09-12 E-Series van's as a group that have "ECU with FEPS" and require a specific cable that puts 18v on pin 13 in the programming process.
I just ordered a "vLInker FS adapter with the 18 volt FEPS signal" from Amazon to see if it helps me out.

Now, I see you have a 2014, and this may not be helpful. However there is indication that maybe the right programming tools can do this, its just a bit more complicated than that.
I'm gonna order one of those adapters and see if it works. Let me know what it does for you. And are you seeing the same screen as me?

Quote:
But this thread means your may be in a "newer" realm of fords, FMFU vs FEPS, so there is hope.
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18751
I'm gonna have a lot of reading to do now.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:33 PM   #7

I went and checked.
I am unable to view the data in my PCM. Curious.
I can only access my GEM. I was able to confirm the programming of TPMS and DRLS. So thats a start!
Old 05-18-2022, 12:04 AM   #8

Quote:
I went and checked.
I am unable to view the data in my PCM. Curious.
I can only access my GEM. I was able to confirm the programming of TPMS and DRLS. So thats a start!
That's with the new 18 volt interface cable?

I work on a boat and I can either park my rig in Mobile, AL or Paducah, KY.

I checked with Ford and Mobile and they're booked out. But I checked online for Paducah, and it doesn't seem like they are. I am going to call tomorrow and check to see what time slots they have.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:17 AM   #9

Arrives today. That was over Bluetooth
Old 05-18-2022, 08:52 PM   #10

New Cable Arrived. Had to connect it to a USB hub as my laptop only has usb3 ports (and the cable needs USB 2, silly)

However, I got no new programming options. Next I am going to poke around and see if there are any cruise button options in the oscilloscope, however my as built data may need to be changed.

For the 2009, I did find some information in my service manual about "speed control", as ford calls cruise.

The speed control event originates in the PCM, and is received by the ABS and IPC modules. Therefore I believe I need to modify the PCM programming.
This could be a "feature enable", or it could be a re-write of the vehicle ID block in the PCM. I'm not sure.

The ~2005 crown vic guys have some IDS info about activating these features. I hope I don't need to go the IDS route. I will contact FORSCAN for support and see what happens