Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2022, 05:54 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Just curious what ELM (if any) you're using connecting to the DLC under the steering wheel? I know that can make a huge difference.

If it matters I bought one from these guys: https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...keyword=elm327

Not sure that's the issue of not enabling Vehicle Speed Control but maybe?

HTH

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #12

ELM? What's that?
Old 05-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #13

ELM is a chip that the cheap bluetooth adapters common to forscan use.
The implementation of the ELM can make or brake forscan, as ford has evolved their "more than basic OBD II" programming stuff over the years.

JWA : I am using the new FORSCAN FEMS vLinker cable mentioned in the beginning of the thread, and an OBDII EX bluetooth. Both are stuck at the PCM stage.

@225, Let me know how your new cable works. I hope that you aren't subject to esoteric PCM programming issues that my 2009 is.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #14

Follow up:
I was able to add Cruise to my 2009 Diesel 6.0 Van. All it took was : wheel that accepts buttons, clockspring, and the right buttons.

Here is what I know :
Not all buttons are the same. I have several cruise buttons that I have pulled from the junkyard that look right, and have the right connector for the clockspring, however if I use forscan to monitor the "value" of the speed control button in it's scope mode, 1/3 of the steering wheel buttons I had mapped correctly.

This, for me, required no programming. However, I do have some tunes flashed to my 6.0. The PCM is where those tunes live (I believe), and my tuner may have enabled cruise for me. I cannot be sure.

I am looking to get a wood grain steering wheel from another ford product, and swap it in. I am running a junkyard wheel that is nicer than what I had before.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:23 PM   #15

Looking to do the same to my 2010 e350 5.4.

@desertsherpa are you able to provide any part numbers for the clockspring/matching buttons that you were able to get working? I'm planning to purchase the parts, and would hate to order mismatched buttons or clockspring
Yondermeister88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:25 AM   #16

@yondermeister88

For buttons I grabbed them off a 09+ van.l at my junkyard.
For clock spring i cannot remember. I do remember clock springs being a thing I was collecting as I was collecting wood grain steering wheels from Navigators and reselling them on eBay.

If it was me, I would grab the vin of a fully loaded van off a listing, and plug that into the ford parts catalog.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:43 AM   #17

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm planning on just using the part numbers posted by @225

1. Steering Wheel (Comes with cruise control switches already installed)
Part#: ac2z3600ba

2. Clock Spring
Part #: ac2z14a664c

(they are also listed on my VIN microfiche)

I've also ready that some models require a brake switch...? so I'll burn that bridge when I get there.
I'm pretty new to FORscan, and tracking as-built codes - I'll be doing a lot more research before any real adjustments are made.

I appreciate the help.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:32 PM   #18

If you have a 2010, you should have a brake switch, as you have the newer gem based interior. Just check your brake pedal housing.

Also note that if you did not have remote keyless entry, you gotta swap your gem out. I think my post history should detail that, if not ask and I'll try to remember
Old 03-11-2024, 01:23 PM   #19

I don't think I have remote keyless entry (RKE) but I do already have power locks - shouldn't I just be able to enable stuff like Cruise Control and REK by adjusting the "As-Built" BCM configs? Or am I missing actual hardware that performs these functions. I read your post... If I need to replace the lock actuators to get Keyless entry, I'm not going to go through the trouble. BUT I will replace a SJB /Steering wheel / etc... to get Cruise control.

Is the SJB a pulg and play swap?

How do I recgonize the SJB I want/need?

The local junkyards I have access to, many of the patrons are barbarians and just cut harnesses, removing the electronics and the plugs with a pair of side-cutters. Finding an intact harness is going to be a tough task, but that's what the internet is for.

@desertsherpa quote from thread regarding REK / CC Components:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsherpa View Post
OK, So I have figured out, and successfully added Power Locks to a bone stock cargo van. All doors, all locks, on a 2009 Van.

The 2009 is the first year of the modern interior, and (I believe) the onset of ford using a Smart Junction Box.

Here is what you are up against in the 2009:
Your Smart Junction Box Lacks the Relays to run the Locks (verified by taking mine apart). You need a replacement.
You need to add wiring from the SJB under dash connectors to the Passenger Side door. I suggest the whole dash harness.
You need to add wiring from the Passenger door to the 60/40 or slider, for operating the locks. This is a easy to install replacment of you harness.
You need door lock actuators.
You need door switches, and door panels that will house them
You need / can get a rear door lock switch. My van, curously, had wiring from the rear door lock swithces all the way to the Smart Junction Box. But only that rear door (WTF Ford).

Here is who I suggest you go about this, to save your self time and money. This is not how I did it.
1) Find a well equipped junkyard van, of a compatible year (I found a 2009 and was stooked). The dead giveaway is the backup sensors on a bumper and the smaller power mirrors switch on the drivers door.

2) From donner van : Pull the dash, and get the entire harness for the dash. Pulling the dash, using the service manual, is not that bad. I've done it. Also pull the Smart Junction Box that lies behind the parking brake.

3) From almost any van :
Pull full doors, or interior door panels (to get power lock switches) and pull the lock actuators from the doors. The brackets from the donor doors are riveted on. So either cut the rivets or order the dorman ones. Either way, you also want the connecting rods from inside the door. You can disconnect the ford solenoids from the bracket by prying the bracket open. Note that these solenoids have MULTIPLE mount points molded on them. When you re-unite the metal bracket with the plastic, find the right mount point. This tripped me up.
Pull the short harness that goes from the passenger foot well under the step to the back doors. This carries the speakers for the rear doors also. My van only had a "door ajar" set of wires, so my new harness has wires for the lock, speaker, and door ajar.

Then:
Using Forscan, download your Smart Junction Box configuration data. You can flash this to the new box. And, you will want to customize while in there.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Once the new SJB is in the vehicle, use the standard programming procedure (turning the key hokey-pokey) to program remotes. And boom, you can lock all 6 doors from one spot.
Thank you again for sharing your wisdom, this is SUPER helpful information! Hopefully in adding your detailed write-up it, can help others like me... Your efforts in sharing this info are tremendously helpful.