Our family is growing and space is getting tight so I'm looking for options to gain a little more elbow room.
I have a 2005 Chevy Express 4x4 that I built out similar to a SMB RB50 (standard roof height). This was great for 2 adults but now we have a 2 year old so I'm looking to gain some extra space. Buying a SMB with Penthouse or a travel trailer isn't in the budget.
I've seen a number of pictures of SMB or van owners using tents that connect to the rear or side doors of the van. I am hoping those who own them would be willing to share their experiences! I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet but here some initial criteria I'm considering:
- can seal to the side opening or rear of the van to keep insects out (we are in mosquito country); docking to the side of van is preferred
- roomy enough for an adult to sleep plus a small table for limited cooking (e.g. heating water)
- freestanding (so the vehicle can leave camp and the tent stays)
Nice to Have's:
- any kind of integrated awning (for cooking outside in the rain or getting some shade) would be a bonus but not required
- having a floor would be a bonus (this is most likely where I will be sleeping and extra gear will be stored to keep the van clear/organized)
Some initial brands I've found are OzTent, ARB, BusDepot (Add-A-Room), and others. Just hoping to get some real-world feedback to what has worked well as I continue to research options and figure out what the budget should be.