Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #1

Anyone Running this New Tire?

I searched the site and there are zero results for General Grabber A/TX tires. The tires currently on our van are 12 years old (Hankook Dynapro ATM). They have lots of tread, but are older that I am willing to accept for safety. We are planning a 5 week trip to Alaska this summer and looking for a good tire for this trip.

The General Grabber A/TX (as opposed to the Grabber AT2) is a relatively new tire that came out in 2018. They claim to incorporate a lot of technology that make it a diverse tire. It receives top reviews in multiple locations for on-road and off-road characteristics, good mud and dirt traction and it's snow rated (3 peak stamp). I am looking at using the same size tire currently on the van (305 70r16). The Grabber A/TX is an "E" rated tire in this size with 65psi max pressure and 3525 lb. max load. It is very reasonably priced and from what I am seeing online, it almost seems too good to be true - it's even made in the USA. I'm hoping someone out there has had some experience with this tire.

Here is a link to tire info and specs. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...m=07R6GRATXRWL

4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #2

Garage
Interested to see what people have to say. Been eyeing these for our crv (ko1’s) and for the van (ko2’s) when the current ones wear out. Also considering the milestars.

Various reviews look like most people don’t like the generals cause they don’t balance easy. Makes me wonder if these would be good candidates for balance beads? Don’t see a lot of other complaints other than a too loud now and again.

General is a continental sister/partner company. While I’ve run lots of continental bike tires with good luck and a few motorcycle tires with no complaints I’ve never ran any of their car or truck tires. Although I have been watching their reviews for a couple of years knowing I’ll have a few sets of tires to replace and money will be tighter this time around.

To me they are bfg knockoffs but I’ve had really good luck with the bfg’s. However their prices have crept out of my budget, so the generals have been on my radar.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

I’ve had Grabber ATXs for a little over a year and love them. They balanced easier than the KO2s I ran before. They are smooth and it seems at least as quiet of not more quiet than the KO2s but admittedly those got louder as they aged so we will see with these. After a year and about 20k mikes they are wearing nicely. The thing I’ve appreciated the most is their wet and snow traction, noticeably better than the KO2.

As of now I plan on buying them again. I run a 285x70 x17 which I think is rated to 85 psi. They get my wholly unsponsored or compensated endorsement....unless they read this and send me a free set then my endorsement will be a sponsored one. I’ll keep you posted.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks whit! Know how much your van weighs by chance?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #5

You got it! Van weighs a smidge over 8k. I hauled back a 2k lb load from Portland last week so I filled the tires up a little more and felt great, really stable. I usually run them at about 55 psi front and 65 rear.

Made a quick trip past your way for thanksgiving to Jackson. Had a fair amount a fresh snow there that week and some pretty nasty ice across eastern Oregon and I always felt pretty sure footed all things considered.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the report WhitH. I have had many sets of BFG KO2's including a set I just put on my Tundra last summer. They have always been ok tires, but not sure they are worth the premium. I am all about value and these Grabber A/TX seem to rate well and wear well from the reports.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
Old 01-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #7

Looking at sizes and the Grabber atx is available in a 285 75 16 that has a higher load rating and max psi of 80 and available in a 305 70 16 that has a lower load rating (by a couple of hundred pounds) and lower max psi of 65. The tire diameter is the same. Is the 285 75 16 a better choice and tougher tire because of the higher load rating and higher max psi? A wider tread is always nice but the higher load and psi seems like a good idea. My van is just north of 9k lbs. Any advice on this?

Here is a screencap of the tire specs for the Grabber ATX: https://photos.app.goo.gl/o6zx4dU93ouP1F7P7
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
Old 01-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #8

In my mind I’d think you’ll want the higher load rated tire.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:53 AM   #9

Agree with WhitH. Been running the Grabbers for about two months. Sold the KO2s as they got loud after about 30k miles. These Grabbers seem quieter and snow traction is improved. Time will tell how they hold up but I anticipate getting closer to 50k miles out of them.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #10

Garage
CDACamper - Keep in mind if your Van weight is 9K lbs, you shouldnt divide that by 4 (2250 load on each tire) to calculate your desired tire Load Rating needed. Chances are real good the rear tires are supporting more than the front when you're loaded up for a trip...might get your Van weighed to get a good picture on how/where the weight distribution pans out on your Rig.
*Best to always go higher on Max Load rating to give yourself a sensible buffer. In your case, the Tires you're looking at easily qualify.
IMO I would consider the 65psi version - in the event you need air, many places (like gas stations) that offer air dont normally provide pressure above 60-65psi.