Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2023, 12:23 PM   #1

Attaching hardware to dash top

I am wondering how to best attach some hardware to the dashboard top. Wondering about metal screws vs rivnuts vs nuts & bolts with backing plates.

Nuts and bolts with backing plate would be the strongest, but requires access to the underside of the dash.

What have you used that has worked well?

FYI, I am looking at adding some rails, rails, balls, arms and device holders; probably from Ram Mounts or 67 Designs.

Note: I am currently doing a new head unit install and have had a good look from below. The dash material seems pretty stout and there is enough clearance below most of the dash for reasonable sized screws or rivnuts.

--Joe

Old 08-14-2023, 02:11 PM   #2

Just my 2 cents.. I'd never drill into the dash top for any reason. Once that beautiful factory-original part is destroyed there's no putting it back. For us, the more factory-original ("unmolested") the interior the more valuable the vehicle.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 02:14 PM   #3

High temp VHB tape.....if you don't like the location, you can move without having holes in the dash.

Standard issue VHB will likely work just fine but if you don't have any there is a high temp version available..up to 300F.

I've had a Garmin GPS dash mounted in my daily driver with VHB for well over a decade.....no issues.

If you need to remove ..I use a guitar string (high E string) to slice through then clean residue with acetone or similar.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:58 PM   #4

I agree about not putting holes in the dash but I have done it nonetheless. First, I agree with Boywonder, use VHB if it will work for what you're mounting. But I do not believe even VHB will hold a RAM ball with an arm and phone/tablet bouncing down a trail in an Offroad vehicle.

For that reason I did put 2 holes in my current dash for RAM mounts. Actually one in the A pillar and one in dash left of radio. If van is sold I'll just leave them.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:07 PM   #5

If you need more sq inches for VHB screw the RAM mount to an aluminum plate, then VHB plate to the dash.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I agree about not putting holes in the dash but I have done it nonetheless. First, I agree with Boywonder, use VHB if it will work for what you're mounting. But I do not believe even VHB will hold a RAM ball with an arm and phone/tablet bouncing down a trail in an Offroad vehicle.

For that reason I did put 2 holes in my current dash for RAM mounts. Actually one in the A pillar and one in dash left of radio. If van is sold I'll just leave them.

I have the same opinion of VHB, which is why I didn't list it as an option.

So did you use a machine screw, rivnut or ?????
Old 08-15-2023, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
If you need more sq inches for VHB screw the RAM mount to an aluminum plate, then VHB plate to the dash.
I agree. One issue with screws, rivnuts and the like is, that if they fail, they can cause irreparable damage to the dash.

Check out 3m's website and see some of the amazing things it can do. You could also try to contact them and see what they think of your application:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/support/
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:20 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Just my 0.02 worth about this........

The dash board's exterior seems fairly strong and robust for what it does, mostly its more about appearance rather than anything structural. As such its just an expanded foam part and mounting anything with screws or other mechanical fasteners that has any weight or leveraged over hang runs a high risk of them pulling out of the material leaving quite a mess.

I'd be a bit careful using 3M's VHB as it's bond strength increases over time (assuming correct installation) causing unsightly stains or minor damage to the "skin" of the dashboard.

If those issues are of any concern look for alternative locations to "permanently" fasten or mount devices. Suction cups secured to the windshield would be another possible choice of a fastening point. This site: https://rammount.com/ and here too: https://ocmounts.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw...xoCoS8QAvD_BwE might yield something useful.

If those are not of concern just be advised the potential problem of fasteners not being all that well secured to just the dashboard itself.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 11:09 AM   #9

I have a AMPS ball mount screwed directly to my dash.
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounts-Ad.../dp/B004O8LF26

It holds my very heavy Garmin Montana 750i GPS unit just fine. I could care less what it looks like! I've tried a couple different style of suction mounts for the windshield. None of them held up on a rough trail.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
High temp VHB tape.....if you don't like the location, you can move without having holes in the dash.

Standard issue VHB will likely work just fine but if you don't have any there is a high temp version available..up to 300F.

I've had a Garmin GPS dash mounted in my daily driver with VHB for well over a decade.....no issues.

If you need to remove ..I use a guitar string (high E string) to slice through then clean residue with acetone or similar.
3M Adhesive remover is also an amazing product. I 've kept some on hand since first finding it decades ago. Have never found any surfaces that it harms.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote