Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 01:33 PM   #11

Garage
Leave NO trace. Leave it better than you found it. Too many people, too stupid, will wreck paradise. As a Coloradoan, I can not say that I am against tighter regulations.

LSretired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #12

Hate to say it..but, Yes, I'm all for keeping people out.
I live in Calif and the deserts are trashed from the huge amounts of 30 something's converging on the desert for the weekend in 100k + "look at me, & how rad I am " sport mobiles.
It's funny and sad at the same time....there only 100 miles outta Los Angeles..and there all decked out in a survival battlewagon with every extraction device and Aluminess box they can bolt or weld on..They travel 97% on hard pack trails any Prius could navigate or "camped" crammed into spaces with 10-20 others.
And there just too sophisticated it seems to shit in a box or a hole, you can't find a boulder or a base of a cliff anywhere that doesn't smell like shit in piss, let alone pick up their plastic water bottles and Starbucks cups..it's pathetic..there NOT the only ones trashing the desert to Oblivion we other. ...it's just about every family own UTVs.....and there responsible for the worst damage ever done to the desert in history..same thing...oh let's stop and drink a beer & take a crap....
They suck!
Every single person I've offroaded/ camped with knew what it was like to load up a old 2wd Econoline or any basic 4x4 of any type...go out ...camp for days...keep it clean..and get this concept...actually picking up trash that others may have left behind..
All being just average everyday people in average everyday trucks/Vans that didn't cost as much as a house...lol. And doin all this while not spending hours posting selfies to Instagram...proving to the world were relevant...lol
I just don't get..it ????
There's little to zero respect for others nor the environment... yet at the same time voting in electric-car mandates and forcing paper straws on people

The world's gone mad
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:54 PM   #13

Dlsinak -- thanks for your post. Do you have a more definitive area/link to search for the Fed Register regarding your read of the Alaska and Alaska DNR push for restricted camping you read and are referring too ? Thanks --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #14

You still might want to do some research into what is actually going on. Opinions are fine and dandy, but all of us are about to lose BIG TIME. I did not realize the extent of all of this until I researched it. If it all becomes regulation, you can count on camping in the city greenbelts, or staying in your apartment
Dlsinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:23 PM   #15

If you log into the federal register, you can get on their email list. Look through it, keep what you want and discard what you don't want.

There are layers of crap in there preventing you to find what you are looking for.

In Alaska, the feds are trying to take ownership of all navigable waters, restricting access to hunting and fishing.
Dlsinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:14 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by This old va View Post
Hate to say it..but, Yes, I'm all for keeping people out.
I live in Calif and the deserts are trashed from the huge amounts of 30 something's converging on the desert for the weekend in 100k + "look at me, & how rad I am " sport mobiles.
It's funny and sad at the same time....there only 100 miles outta Los Angeles..and there all decked out in a survival battlewagon with every extraction device and Aluminess box they can bolt or weld on..They travel 97% on hard pack trails any Prius could navigate or "camped" crammed into spaces with 10-20 others.
And there just too sophisticated it seems to shit in a box or a hole, you can't find a boulder or a base of a cliff anywhere that doesn't smell like shit in piss, let alone pick up their plastic water bottles and Starbucks cups..it's pathetic..there NOT the only ones trashing the desert to Oblivion we other. ...it's just about every family own UTVs.....and there responsible for the worst damage ever done to the desert in history..same thing...oh let's stop and drink a beer & take a crap....
They suck!
Every single person I've offroaded/ camped with knew what it was like to load up a old 2wd Econoline or any basic 4x4 of any type...go out ...camp for days...keep it clean..and get this concept...actually picking up trash that others may have left behind..
All being just average everyday people in average everyday trucks/Vans that didn't cost as much as a house...lol. And doin all this while not spending hours posting selfies to Instagram...proving to the world were relevant...lol
I just don't get..it ????
There's little to zero respect for others nor the environment... yet at the same time voting in electric-car mandates and forcing paper straws on people

The world's gone mad

I guess you're seeing a bunch of bad apples that I haven't. Even in the southern desert areas of California I visited and wheeled in over the past 15 years, I've never been able to correlate the price of a high end 4x4 vehicle to those who trash an area. In fact it seems to be just the opposite. Almost every SMB owner I've met seems more responsible than the average Joe camper. I'm not saying there aren't some owners with high end rigs that are irresponsible; jerks come in all sizes and shapes. So I won't suggest only those with old 2wd Econoline vans or basic 4x4's are the ones who cause all the eco damage either. I will admit there is more vehicle stress as of late by those with SUV's, but there are responsible SUV owners and others who are not. Suggesting Sport mobile owners "decked out in a survival battlewagon with every extraction device and Aluminess box they can bolt or weld on" as the problem is way off target IMO, uncalled for (considering the company you're in), and I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. We are pretty easy going on this forum so I'll just ignore the political innuendo for now whether or not I agree with you.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:32 AM   #17

BLM land Colorado

This is what happens when you have people moving from California they ruined California now they are going to ruin Colorado they ruined Oregon move on to Texas Arizona it’s like a plague everywhere they go they ruin it.
canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:42 AM   #18

I don’t agree with you I live in Oregon and Oregon is getting worse and worse every year all the BLM forest service roads the BLM property is getting gated off no access the more you give government control the less you’re going to be able to use it need to stand up and fight this yes you’re right there is idiots out there to trash it but I’d rather spend the time to clean the place up and still have free camping other than have to go to Pay to stay in a stupid campground with a bunch of yahoos
canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #19

So the incompetent government is battling against it's moron population and the rich people with Sportsmobiles are suffering the consequences?

Am I getting that right? I should do some research I heard. I hope that when I retire from the real world I don't have the free time to read a billion page government document that details public notices that they are legally obligated to do. For more exciting news I'd rather be on YouTube watching OAN or the flat earth people tell me how to wake up and smell the tyranny.

Or I'll just go camping and be thankful I can still find my happy place away from the kooks on the internet.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:05 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlsinak View Post
Don't kid yourself. Individuals in the government are trying to eliminate public access to all public lands.

Don't take my word for it, do your research!

I know this because I met the Alaska State Commissioner for the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

It is absolutely wrong what they are trying (going) to do.

Most people are unaware of the crap that is going on.

Become informed! You can subscribe to notifications.

https://www.federalregister.gov/

If you ignore these issues, everyone will lose.
This forum is by far my favorite for thoughtful and insightful discussion(s) on all things related to SMB ownership. This thread included...

However, when blanket statements like this are casually tossed into the fray I can't resist calling them out. As a retired government employee of 30 years with the USFS, NPS and USFWS I can think of only a handful of specific public lands (federal) being completely closed to public access. Think relatively small areas such as the W.R. Grace vermiculite mine in Montana (which deposited asbestos over the surrounding area), other superfund sites, some off shore ocean outcroppings and some limited areas deemed ecologically fragile.

By claiming the "government" is trying to eliminate public access to all public lands and then saying we need to do the research ourselves to prove it leaves me rather skeptical of your motives of your own knowledge of the issues. Your example is meeting Alaska DNR commissioner to back up your claim. Do you realize that 60% of Alaska is federally owned and therefore under no control of the Alaska DNR?

I do applaud yourself for becoming informed and posting the link for on-going federal projects. It is of vital importance for the recreational users of our federal lands to maintain a voice in their management, which was the reason for the OP to include it on the forum in the first place. I find dealing with the facts to be much more productive than chasing conspiracy theories.

Tread lightly, recreate responsibly and leave it cleaner than you found it...