Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Wrapping looks pretty good. The hood heat has affected mine a bit but the shop said they will refresh it no charge.
How does your wrap hold up when your rig rubs against tree branches on the trail?

Herb

Old 09-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #12

Garage
It's similar to paint in that you can somewhat wash them off. Paint shows more at first and then can be removed. Wrap shows less when it happens but they don't really go away as much. My van is black so I wrapped it instead of paint mostly because my local guy did 5 delivery trucks, 3 transits, and 2 fords for my business and then wrapped the sportsmobile without charging extra for it. I'd love to change my paint to that army green Toyota TRD pro color. Maybe some day. I'll probably get a Godzilla cutaway and drop a newer body on it before I do that though.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Wrapping looks pretty good. The hood heat has affected mine a bit but the shop said they will refresh it no charge.
That looks great and the shop would be highly recommended if they're willing to do a re-fresh from time-to-time, even better if first time is free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
This stuff can save some $$ if you can remove/install it yourself......although you'll need headlights and taillights to get to the body shop. ....and many states bumpers too.

Of course you'll need the shop to agree to this but perhaps you get the 16 hours down to 4-5 for the shop.
I've had problems with shops "allowing" a customer to present a vehicle with parts already removed. Not sure why but would suggest to me they're more concerned with making the most money rather than doing a job/cost projection. I offered this to customers who I thought would be interested or were capable. Some even called first asking if it was possible.

IF you find a co-operating shop tow it there and back (Thanks Triple A! or remove the legally required bits first, reinstall them for the trip to the shop. Once the van is done re-install your bits in their parking lot for the ride home. (I like the idea of towing both ways more though.)

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #14

How far are you from Mexico? I got mine done for less than 1/5 of what I was quoted in Texas.
tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Any idea what the cost of a wrap would be for a single vehicle for someone walking in off the street? I've seen some pretty high prices that make me think paint is a better approach. They also say that a wrap only lasts a few years and if you don't remove it, it gets harder and harder to remove and replace as it ages.
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:08 AM   #16

Garage
Last time I checked it was 2-4K done right. Mine is at 4 years and still looks good minus hood. Not sure now with shortages etc.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #17

I wonder if Raptor lining it would be cheaper?
They look Awesome!!
malcolmkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #18
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmkegel View Post
I wonder if Raptor lining it would be cheaper?
They look Awesome!!
If one is willing to DIY that application it would be massively less costly. It could be done in "stages", the best results the entire job finished within 30 days or so. Would be ideal doing this entire job inside an enclosed space or car port type area.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
I have a white 2004 E350. Body and paint have held up but there are some areas that need paint. What does it cost to paint the exterior of a white RB using another color paint?
Done right by a Quality Shop that will dismantle and the reassemble you are looking at close to 10G . remember there is a lot to the process. If done right.

My Van was White. Now its Honda Passion Berry Purple.

Honda Passion Berry.
Honda # RP46P
Ditzler PPG # 933645
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedujam View Post
How far are you from Mexico? I got mine done for less than 1/5 of what I was quoted in Texas.
I’ve heard about several people getting paint and especially upholstery work on their custom cars done in Mexico and being very pleased with the results.
campIV is offline   Reply With Quote