Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Cover for portable generator

Hi. New to the forum. I want to buy a small portable generator. My question is what do you do when it's raining or snowing. How do you cover it or handle the weather. Yes, I did try to search but couldn't find anything. I appreciate any help. Thanks. Matt.

Lappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #2

Garage
Welcome.

Many carry the generator in a box on the rear bumper. Use in inclement weather will vary, even under part of the van. I have a built-in Onan, but am going to try carrying a Honda 2000 and am going to build a container to hold and run more quietly. Carrying it along with an inflatable boat and bike will be on a cargo carrier or small trailer.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

Garage
That's actually a good question Lappi - I had never considered it either when I purchased my Honda eu2200, until I had to use my generator once when we were caught in a good 36hr rain.
Had a plastic tarp I used to cover firewood, threw the firewood under the van and used the tarp to cover the generator.
I put a length of cord through two corner grommets and wrapped that (about 4ft high) around a tree. Then took the two remaining corners and pulled them away from the tree and anchored them into the ground with tent stakes. Essentially ended out with a 1/2 of a teepee which the generator sat underneath. It worked fine. Just made sure the exhaust pointed away from the tarp
Now I pack two tarps, only haven't needed both since that incident - guess a guy cant have enough tarps...or tools, or knives, or warm socks!
Old 01-21-2021, 06:15 AM   #4

Generators can handle the weather. I would rig something up like above if it's snowing heavily.

Most people here build a box ON the rig or store indoors for security as much as keeping it out of the elements.

My Honda 2000 (10 years old ?) came with a handy cover but just for storage, you can't use it with the cover on of course.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-Co...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #5

For the man who has everything
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210121-094444_Gallery.jpg  
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #6

Garage
That is a cool cover for a generator, had to google that since it certainly peeked my interest ... but, $195 just seems...irresponsible. I'll stick to my tarp.
Attaching the link for those that may have less self control (if that's possible):
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...l?new_bottom=1
Old 01-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

I've seen photos in some forums where simple plywood, open ended A frame covers were used. For all but the worst weather, two hinged pieces of plywood with some sort of flexible waterproof strip covering the crack on the top would be fine.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #8

Lowe's has those for $164. 99 for the more fiscally responsible.
IMAO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #9

That's hilarious. For MUCH less money why not take a cheap dollar store tent and dedicate it to the purpose?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #10

Garage
As I've been planning (lately) to build a box for my Honda to run it more quietly and store it while traveling. The current military plastic locker I was planning to use because it is strong and we have it, is a little too long. So I've done a little searching for aluminum solutions instead.

Stumbled on this and now I want
https://www.rvgeneratorbox.com/

Called, no answer...got a call back. The boxes start at $400, made in the US, .080 thickness (I think), access port in top for refueling, vent on side for exhaust.