Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #181
Site Team

Re: Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

I saw one of these in a film the other day and thought it was just a movie prop till I looked it up online.

It's a P-90. I'm not a gun "nut" but I wouldn't mind having one of these. The wiki reads that it was designed with use inside a vehicle in mind, hence the length. That makes it perfect for swinging around the inside of a SMB.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #182

Re: Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

The Sig I posted has a folding stock (best of both worlds):

Back to the media (apologies if I already posted):

I don't mind people disagreeing with the law, or arguing against the constitution, but I do require that they at least understand the current laws, and how they should be enforced.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #183
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
My wife (KTG) is on a few Van forums and brought to her attention (but somehow missed on mainstream media around here) was the couple from MASS, camping on Padre Island Natl Seashore, missing mid October and found in shallow graves recently/late October...we have camped there (past 4x4 sign) beyond where this happened, BUT, that in conjunction to the young van life couple that were killed earlier this year in the Yukon (I think on the al-can and another place we have traveled a few times) has made my wife consider something I have NEVER heard her contemplate or even talk about before, but buying some kind of personal protection much more lethal than Bear Spray...I am not against guns, I have just never owned one...went shooting with my friends many times, hunting, target practicing etc...with different state laws and a slight feeling that guns beget guns or maybe worse situations( I know silly but..) I thought I would turn to the Forum and ask what? Without outting anybody's situation, what are thoughts about handgun protection in a Rig...and looking at state laws, more and more states are allowing in vehicles with PROPER carry permits from states (not to simplify, you can look online for SPECIFIC state to site requirements)...thoughts?
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #184

Can't typically carry a hand gun legally in Canada or store it in a vehicle for the purposes of recreational travel. I do carry a bush rifle when we go boondocking with a can of bear spray on my driver side door mostly because there are actually BEARS where we travel and they are big.

For those of you in the USA, you need to fill in paper work to bring a firearm into Canada. Also the use of firearms for civilians in Canada for the purpose of self defense will result in significant criminal prosecution. Welcome to Canada.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #185
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Yes, thx forgot to post that info that there are no handguns period in Canada...thx for your input
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Yes, thx forgot to post that info that there are no handguns period in Canada...thx for your input
I think your best option would be a "hunting/wilderness protection firearm" as that would be more acceptable. 12G would be a good option however we do have barrel length restrictions.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #187
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
My intention posting here and now is NOT to incite any sort of political debate about what is right or wrong HOWEVER.......as a staunch supporter of responsible gun ownership I want to add something everyone thinking of acquiring a lethal weapon of any kind needs to carefully consider before plopping money down: Are you fully ready and prepared to use one to its full effect? Are you or will you become proficient in in its use and tactics of self-defense when/if confronted by a criminal?

There is a single question I ask potential new gun owners that in my mind can immediately exclude them from going forward---that question is: "if you're (or your family/home) are under physical attack what would be your first emotion?"

The short answer is anything other than abject outright anger and indignation at the act itself, something akin to I'd fear for my family/home/possessions, I'd not want to harm another person for any reason, I'd hate to take a life......" then you're NOT READY to own anything of lethal potential. Second thoughts or hesitations to act can be and often prove to be harmful to the weapon producer more than an attacker.

Also keep the "21 foot rule" in mind---it says an attacker who is 21 feet or closer can close that distance and lay hands on you quicker than you could produce and bring to bear any sort of holstered/concealed weapon. This is important because most lethal weapon incidents happen within 12 feet. Anyone intent upon committing a criminal act uses stealth to avoid their own injury--a remote campsite would be easy to sneak into with little to no notice to a motivated crook. Where's your weapon stored, how quickly can you produce it with the willingness to bring to to bear? How quickly can you wake from a deep sleep and be 100% ready to fend someone off?

All these thoughts absolutely necessarily should be factored into any thoughts to procure any lethal weapon. Its possible the recent events in Mexico of the family tragedy have revived this thread and it a lot of ways its pertinent---one has to ask how or why did it happen and to what level of preparedness did the victims have?

I could drone on about this for pages and pages but will say having "been there, done that" on a lethal weapon deployment a half-second hesitation caused me to lose my first wife way back in 1977. For that reason alone I can speak personally about such things. While we have rights to own and bear lethal weapons we have a larger responsibility to use them properly for their intended purpose.

Anyway sorry to alarm anyone if that happens----just trying to keep everyone safe or safer.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan View Post
I saw one of these in a film the other day and thought it was just a movie prop till I looked it up online.

It's a P-90. I'm not a gun "nut" but I wouldn't mind having one of these. The wiki reads that it was designed with use inside a vehicle in mind, hence the length. That makes it perfect for swinging around the inside of a SMB.
Yes, a P-90 could be a good gun for such a situation, although the weapon pictured is the non-civilian, select-fire (fully automatic capable) short barrel (10.5") version. The civilian version is the PS-90, which is semi-auto only, and has a longer barrel (16" - legal minimum).

While a P-90 would be nearly impossible to acquire by a civilian (being produced after the 1986 cut-off date, none would be eligible for the NFA registry) unless they have a machine gun dealer license.

The P-90 is definitely a neat gun. I've wanted one since watching the Stargate TV shows.

As far as carrying a gun in one's van goes... that gets into some dicey legal areas depending on where you live and where you want to go. Agree with them or not, the laws are still the laws. So do a lot of research on how to transport guns across state lines.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
How quickly can you wake from a deep sleep and be 100% ready to fend someone off?
Very important. I mention that to my friends that have guns and think they will be able to protect themselves. Unless you are awake and sitting with the gun in your hand when something happens, you are at a distinct disadvantage to the bad guy who is already pointing a weapon at you. In many cases, you are better off handing over all you valuables and asking if there is anything else you can do for them. I know there are examples showing otherwise, but in most cases a passive response is probably better.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #190

Garage
I would neither confirm or deny possession of a fire arm.