Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #11

Thanks for all that. Seems I need to make a huge list of things to pass on to whatever shop does the modifications.

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #12

Garage
These are all excellent suggestions. I acquired my 6.0 E350 Quigley from my dad who let it sit most of the time. Always had a check engine light. Well by putting in an Edge Insight CTS I was able to monitor all of the critical information mentioned here and found mt FICM voltage was way low. +1 on the upgraded FICM with Atlas 40 tune, that solved part of it. Others here mention additives for cetane as well as additives to prevent stiction. Well one great thing to do is run some B20 biodiesel through it regularly. This cleans out lots of deposits in the fuel system, kind of like eating a spoonful of Metamucil in the morning. B20 also has outstanding lubrication properties so long as you aren't using it in the arctic cold you should be good. Regular use and getting on it hard once a week cleared up all the other injector codes over a few weeks of use with the B20 fuel in it. I like to alternate between B20 for the lubrication/cleaning properties and R99 from ARCO or Unocal as it has extremely high cetane and will definitely make your rig run quieter as observed by many of us on here.

Coolant filter is definitely a must, if you don't believe us just drain your coolant into a bucket and then look at the black sand sediment at the bottom, that convinced me I needed one ASAP on both my 6.0 van and my 7.3 pickup. I also added Mag-Hytec diff covers as they make it easy to drain the fluid to replace it and have a nice dipstick for a quick fluid level check. I know it's not engine related but if your diff seizes from no fluid you still aren't going anywhere, learned that the hard way on my old Dodge.

I've got just over 100K on my 2005 6.0L and never had to replace head studs or had any head gasket probs. Blue spring, regular fuel filter changes, improved alternator, improved radiator (old one leaked), B20 and R99 regularly, FICM upgrade IF needed (monitor the FICM voltage should be 47-48V), stomp on it every time you drive it, full synthetic oil with regular changes and you should be good.
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote