Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #1

EB10 layout - pros and cons?

Hey all, I really like the EB10 layout on paper for my build, but wondering if anyone can share the pros and cons of actually using it…

How easy is the couch to table to bed transition? Other items to note with this layout?

I’d appreciate any insights, thanks!

Bay Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #2

How many people normally? What type of activities? Pop top, fixed or stock? Cargo or passenger? How tall are the individuals?
Old 09-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #3

ya, good points

- 1 human, 3 dogs
- long weekends, camping, off grid
- pop top
- cargo with 4xt, pop top and added rear windows
- human 5'7"
Bay Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

I once had a 19' van with this layout (not a SMB). I didn't like it and made sure my next one was different. After thousands of miles on the road and many campouts, I concluded..

1. Having all that cabinetry in the center of the vehicle clogs up the already limited interior space. Windows typically get either partially or completely blocked. Rather than open and bright, the interior becomes dark and claustrophobic. There is a dark "tunnel" created from the front running through to the back.

2. Having the bed in the back puts it at the narrowest point in the body.. not ideal. Alternately, placing the dining area and bed in the center opens up the living space. It also places the bed at the widest point, making for more room while sleeping.

Just my 2 cents..
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #5

I had an EB10 with a high top for a short period of time. I really liked it for its large bed. I also prefer the walk through layout although this layout doesnt offer much for storage at the rear of the van. Mine had a hightop which was really nice to always have the head room. Something to consider if you don't need the bed up top. You park it anywhere and have full access to everything inside.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #6

Garage
I have the "49" version - As mikracer mentioned, I really like the walk through design for the convenient access to everything at anytime. All of our cabinets on the passenger side are low & has a long window so the back still has that "open" feeling. The center path also works out great to store two bikes (have two e-bikes that fold in half & fit nicely down the middle). For us, that sill leaves the gaucho bench available to sleep in if we decide not to pop the top (mostly because of high winds) or boondocking.
Having the gaucho bed located behind the drivers seat provides a very roomy and inviting feeling since the bench seat is low and the back is relatively thin compared to cabinetry....when you open the barn doors it gives the impression of more elbow room...especially when the passenger seat has been swiveled around. This layout also keeps all the seating close together.
May take a look into some of the members photo albums to view different interior pictures just to gain some perspective of the different layouts (if you haven't already).
Old 09-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #7

EB10 layout - pros and cons?

My first van was similar to an EB-18 and I really liked the dinette layout and cross-van sleeping with the nicely sized wide bed. We found the dinette was nice for the three of us eating and also was good for lounging for multiple of us. Our new van is also a walk through, like a flipped EB-45 with gaucho. I prefer the dinette but hand grown to like the gaucho too.

I also briefly owned an RB-50 Traverse and definitely prefer the walkthrough for its flexibility.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
With my mega sized body, I feel the Ford walk thru's were too tight and the typical dinette is way too small for my use. I am a loner and rarely sleep on the EB-50 lower two person bed. If I had a girlfriend (or family) who liked to camp I might have a different opinion. Looking at my van the first time a buddy of mine asked where he would be able to sleep and I told him in your friggin tent.

I absolutely love sleeping up top by in all types of weather. The lower bed is generally a storage area and with that I never have to move anything out of the way. I can pull into camp, push a button to pop the top and quickly relax on the couch. The sink, fridge, and stove are close by and if I have do a friend along, the 50 model has enough floor room that when flipping the passenger seat around we have plenty of leg room to relax during cold or adverse weather. The heater duct is at my feet when using the bench seat which is nice during the winter months. I always liked the EB-40 layout I considered but seeing both, the 50 looked so much larger it was a no brainer for my michelin man body. I might have different views with a larger vehicle such as a Sprinter or if I was a thin rail. One thing a walk thru offers is an easier place to set up a permanent head, store a porta potty, or make shift shower to be used inside during cooler weather. I'd suggest looking at what you plan to build prior to actually building it just to make sure it fits your needs. Good luck on your build.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #9

Good stuff, Dave! I too am a fan of the 50 floor plan, however I prefer a fixed top.

OP, my first van was more or less a '10' and I did not like it. It was an EB van with a CCV pop top. It just seemed too cramped in the center aisle and the rear bed/dinette was useless to me. Granted, I had floor ceiling cabinets on one side and build the counter too high on the other. We ate at the rear dinette once and declared it too cramped and it stayed a kid's bed after that.

All that to say, SMB has so many floor plans because so many people have so many needs/wants. I'm a 30/50 guy personally but it's completely in the eye of the beholder.

It would really help you if you could find someone local who has what you're thinking of. Crawling around in it for a few minutes means the world. Being in the Bay area, this shouldn't be too hard to find.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #10

I have a '95 EB-10 with a pop top, and its usually only me camping in it. My passenger chair swivels but my driver does not.

What this means for me is that when I'm parked at the campsite, I'm mostly in the swivel passenger chair. The dinette is nice but in my old van doesnt let you sit up straight or lean back (and I'm 5 ft 9). So the way it works is that if folks are over and we're inside the van, one person is on the swivel chair, 1-2 folks are in the dinette and we're having a nice time.

BUT... Since I dont need all the driver-side storage, I'm looking to remove all or nearly all of the storage from the fridge forward on the driver side to make room for a gaucho couch. Like an EB-60, EB-61. If I was going to get a new one, I would do EB-61 (if those are still possible- 2x swivels, couch and dinette), with half height cabinets all around: Lots of space to work/relax in different positions, multiple ways to look out of the van, and you dont have any tall cabinets to block visibility to others if you're being social!

Good luck deciding!
ddoud is offline   Reply With Quote