Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #1

Sportsmobile Price Trends

Hey all,

Long time lurker as it’s been a dream of mine to own a smb. I know we’re in a bit of a van bubble but I’ve been given the opportunity to work remote so I’m planning on traveling a bit and thus, am looking to purchase a 4x4 smb.

My question is for those seasoned veterans, how much have prices gone up over normal? I’d like to get a sense for if I’m overpaying and by how much since you can’t find a nada on these. Also, it seems the 4x4s and diesel models hold their value a bit more, have you found this to be true? I’d like to have an easier time for resale if circumstances changed.

Any information is greatly appreciated and I look forward to becoming a part of the community, cheers!

Goslowgofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #2

I think the biggest price increase has been at the bottom of the market. My brother bought a van in 2018, a 95 for $7500. It was pretty clean and a nice unit. He just sold it for $17,000.

At the high end, 3 years ago a 2003 7.3 RB50 4x4 with low miles would sell for $90k or so. I think that is still the case. 4x4s hold their value as do 7.3 diesels. The 6.0 diesels don't hold their value as well.

I don't think there is going to be some precipitous price drop in the next few years. They aren't making more econolines, the newer 4x4 vans (transit, sprinter) don't have the off road chops of a 4x4 econoline and all van converters are backed up nearly a year.

I think you figure out your budget and then buy the van that fits your life the best in your budget. If you are going to be driving long distances, the transit/sprinters drive way better.

Another good idea is to rent several vans for a weekend or something to test out how you use them and the different layouts. Spending $3k renting vans is cheaper than buying one and finding out it doesn't work for you. The sales tax/registration alone will be $3k (at least here in CA).
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #3

Great, thanks for the input. I'm pretty set on the layout I want as I previously spent a few years with an 86 Westy and have some mental notes of what I liked/didn't like. My needs haven't changed much since then.

My biggest thing is that I do a lot of winter driving for skiing and am a little hesitant about going the RWD route but my price range is 35-45k and I'm seeing some 4wd's in that range.

By 6.0 diesels are you referencing the Fords? Any thoughts on the 6.6 Duramax?
Old 09-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #4

So long as #vanlife is still a thing, prices wont drop drastically in the near future. Prices have consistently gone up over the last 6 years. Not just vans, but all the parts that go with it.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #5

The Duramax is a great motor. I don't think you'll find one in your budget because I don't think they were putting them in vans until like 2010 or so. And any 4x4 that's a 2010 or newer is going to be outside of your budget.

You could definitely find a gas 4x4 in your budget. That's what I would go for. A 5.4 or V10 4x4 would be a great van for you. Cheaper to maintain as well over a diesel.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #6

Great, thanks fellas. That gives me a little more confidence that it won't be a completely lost investment.