Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2024, 03:13 PM   #1

Question Econoline RV Prep Package - details?

In my E-Series research / classified ad perusing I’ve seen numerous vans with the RV Preparation Package ("RV Prep Pkg") designation printed on the front door jam decal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1983.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	49579

Some are SMBs, some are not. I get the basic idea of the package – a more stripped-down van body or cutaway that has unneeded systems removed and those added that are more advantageous to a RV build.

Questions:

* What exactly does this package entail?

* Did it change over the years to include or exclude certain options, etc.?

—-

From what I’ve found here and on other forums/Google searches/Facebook groups, etc., I’ve seen mention of things like a 4.10 axle gear ratio w/ limited slip differential (LSD), higher output alternator, transmission cooler, no rear seats, etc. I found a reference on a different forum (and I cannot find the link at the moment) that stated the rear axle on some RV prepped Econolines had a full float rear axle from the factory, but I do not think there was any source mentioned in that post.

Any help in clearing this up would be appreciated. Hopefully this thread can become a reference for others. And if I have by some chance overlooked another thread that details this package, I apologize.

yonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 07:24 PM   #2

Pretty sure cruise control and power windows and door locks were part of it. Base cargo vans didn’t have them.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 12:41 PM   #3

My 1998 E250 was, I believe, an RV Prep van. A large part of the package was an up-optioned basic cargo van, as Steelhead mentions. Cloth seats, power package in cab, cruise, tilt wheel, etc. It also had threaded mounting points in the cargo area for aftermarket seat anchors (captain's chairs seatbelt upper points). My 2011 E250 Ford "Builder's Book" refers to a "Recreational Van" that has the same fittings (see screenshot below).
Attached Thumbnails
2011-E250-RecVan.png  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:15 AM   #4

Basically a cargo van shell (no side windows) with passenger van insides (tilt, cruise, PW/PL) and the provisions for seats/belts (captured nuts in frame and side rails).

Nothing special on the used market. Would be uncommon to find one that hasnt been turned into a camper already.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:57 PM   #5

Thank you all for the information. @BrianW, no mention regarding 4.10 axle gearing? That screencap is a little fuzzy on my screen and hard to read, but it may be my device. 4.10 gears seem to be a pattern I've noticed with these RV prep'd E-series, but maybe it was an option, not sure.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:16 AM   #6

4.10s would have more to do with the engine and GVRW than a specific prep package. Likely just the combination of things that end up with the 4.10s
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:38 AM   #7

Good deal. Thank you.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:03 PM   #8

fwiw - 2008 RV prep E150 here, shipped direct to SMB Fresno. Cruise/power, 3.73 LSD rear (code B4)
mkosina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv prep pkg, rv preparation package