Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2023, 09:16 AM   #1

fold-sideways 2-person bench

Does anyone know whether these type of stowable benches use the regular Ford bolt pattern? You can find take-outs from E350-based buses, so I thought there's a chance...

I see them for sale occasionally, and want to put one where our stock 3-person bench is (the "2nd row" , ie immediately behind the driver).

@1der / Ray?
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post325164
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image (1).jpg  

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:21 AM   #2

No, the bolt patter is longer front to rear. You might be able to use one pair, of bolt holes, but I don’t think you would want to. These require a larger backing plates under the floor, because of the cantilever.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:29 AM   #3

Thanks for confirming @carringb . I think I've seen them with a drop-down leg (different from Ray's post), so, in theory, at least that style wouldn't have quite as much cantilevered stress when deployed. But in any event, not quite excited enough about it to drill more holes. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:32 AM   #4

PS Just to maybe re-use the same thread, I've been looking for a two-person bench in this position. If I can't get a stowaway, let me know if anyone has a source for the 2-person stock Ford bench that came on the "center aisle seating prep package." (pic attached)
Attached Thumbnails
2 person bench.jpeg  
Old 11-19-2023, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Does anyone know whether these type of stowable benches use the regular Ford bolt pattern? You can find take-outs from E350-based buses, so I thought there's a chance...

I see them for sale occasionally, and want to put one where our stock 3-person bench is (the "2nd row" , ie immediately behind the driver).

@1der / Ray?
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post325164
Freedman is the brand. Ray tipped me off to them as well. I've been researching the idea. Not a whole lot out there regarding E-series swaps from what I could find. Some chatter on the Transit forums, but there were some comments noting these seats are good in a pinch, but are not very comfortable for longer trips. Take that for what you will. I've yet to sit in one myself, so I can't provide any firsthand experience.

A guy on one of the Quigley 4x4 FB groups swapped a couple into an E-Series. He said some modifications were needed for the brackets. I agree with the above comment, its a lot of cantilevered force, I would think some serious backing plates would need to be fabricated considering the weight of the seat and couple hundred pounds plus of passengers. From what I've seen on FB Marketplace, these seats pop up pretty regularly, at least in my area, but there are a few different versions. Some have an L-shaped base bracket that also attaches to the wall of the vehicle (in addition to the floor). Seems like that would be a much more involved install and could raise some challenges, especially in a van with finished walls.

The FB install post I mentioned is here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4509...9309586471851/

Photos from the above post, as I believe it's closed group:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	49123

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	49124

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	49125

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	49126

Link to Freedman's webstore is here:

https://www.freedmanseating.com/seat...foldaway-seat/

Freedman makes a folding table that attaches to the bottom of the seat - cool idea:

https://www.freedmanseating.com/seats/foldaway-table/

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
PS Just to maybe re-use the same thread, I've been looking for a two-person bench in this position. If I can't get a stowaway, let me know if anyone has a source for the 2-person stock Ford bench that came on the "center aisle seating prep package." (pic attached)
Is that the name of this seating arrangement? I've seen a few vans with this seating configuration - I assume it's a factory option. Seems practical.

There is a guy selling a set of these 2+1 seats on one of the Econoline FB groups. I can't remember which group specifically.
yonah is offline   Reply With Quote