Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2024, 08:48 AM   #1

Question Gas (Onan-Cummins) Generator problems

I admit I've always been a lurker even though I purchased my (now old school Ford E-250) Sportsmobile in 2008. I don't take it out very often, baby it, garage it all the time it's not moving, and have never had an issue until now.

I have an Onan microlite gas generator that is busted. It has less than 100 hours on it. I think it was a rodent problem got into the generator but can get no one to confirm that for me. I have driven it from Maine to Texas this winter and cannot survive without a generator. To date I have had four small engine mechanics look at it, the last one pulled it out and went through everything, including replacing the carburator, checking the plug and spark wire, fuel line, fuel pump and replacing fuel filter. Two wires looked a LITTLE worn and he taped them up anyway. It wants to turn over but ultimately won't run. Two of the four think it's an electrical problem.

For the past two weeks I've been getting the run around from Cummins service in Austin, TX about how much it will cost to EVEN JUST PULL IT TO LOOK AT IT. ($1,348.10). I'm a single gal on social and I can't afford that. Plus I've already spent $500 on troubleshooting. So my question to the forum is this:

1. Would you pull it and toss it or spend that much plus the cost of parts to fix it?
2. If you would fix it, and any of you are anywhere in Texas, where would you go besides the manufacturer? I'm willing to drive hours to save even a little money.

I'm tempted to pull it and toss it and just carry around a small Honda and a gas can but as you all know, space is limited and a small gas can won't allow me to boondock very long. I really could use some help and advice from you guys. I looked through the forum for hints but could not find anything that matches my issues. Thanks SO MUCH in advance for anything anyone can offer at all!

::tori

tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:55 AM   #2

Tori - check to see if there's a "Cummins gen" forum on the "net" - maybe there's an answer there or guidance ? Good luck -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:04 AM   #3

I'm so frustrated with Cummins that I'd really like some alternatives if possible. But yes, I can google Cummins (and I have) and get loads of results, but I trust this forum more than the anonymous "net" -- wouldn't you?
tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:15 AM   #4

Tori -- check for info here -- https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tor-98497.html -- and also under "Thor" Cummins forum - good luck !

I'm thinking there would be more "posts" there re Cummins gens - than this forum - as I. "think" SMB owners may use more Honda's and other gens than Cummins 4000 or 4500 gens ??
Old 01-18-2024, 10:18 AM   #5

A bit different perspective.. I'd get rid of it and not replace it.

We've camped for decades and never had a generator and would never operate one. They just aren't necessary and IMHO they cause more problems than they solve. Not having a generator will also open up better camping to you, such as no generator tent sites and other "no generators allowed" areas.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:24 AM   #6

Tori - check this out on Jayco/Cummins -- Yooper906

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
I had the same problem on my '97 shortly after I bought it in June. I found that when it started sputtering to stall, I would manually work the throttle linkage to keep it running. After doing that a few times it works fine now. My conclusion was the carburetor was fouled from sitting too long. Since then, I have been sure to run the Onan about 30 minutes each month, just because. I hope this helps.
One thing that may help, when running it every month put a load on it. I use something that draws a lot, maybe a heat gun or something else with resistance. I've had generators run great with no load, put a load on and they stall or sputter. Usually carb problem.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS

Maybe buy/use a "Mister Buddy" heater versus having the Cummins fixed ? Less weight to haul - room for an underbody air compressor - or I sometimes use a butane stove to heat inside of my van - BUT - ALWAYS CRACK A WINDOW ON EACH SIDE OF VAN FOR FRESH AIR/OXYGEN replenishment - roughly one inch of "fresh air" for each 1,000 BTU's of heat generated - AND - get a good Zero degrees sleeping bag !
Old 01-18-2024, 01:26 PM   #7

Garage
Tori - does you van have a propane tank mounted under the frame? If so, You can run a high pressure line from it to a Honda generator with the Hutch Mountain duel-fuel conversion. I have this set-up and it works great (Rarely have a need to use it though).

Another possible plan to consider would be ditching the cummins and repurpose the space to accommodate a second (& possibly third) battery to increase available amps (that's assuming you're not looking to run an AC unit without shore power).

If neither of those interest you, You may try an RV Shop that is familiar with Roadtreks since many have the Onan gen's in them as well.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tori View Post
I'm so frustrated with Cummins that I'd really like some alternatives if possible. But yes, I can google Cummins (and I have) and get loads of results, but I trust this forum more than the anonymous "net" -- wouldn't you?
I too would trust this forum over the anonymous internet but very few Sportsmobiles have generators. However, they are in every motorhome on the planet. Almost every class C has that exact generator.

I would think some savvy techs on RV forums or betteryet, a well rated RV repair shop would be more familiar with that generator than most folks here. It kind of blows my mind that Cummins/Onan couldn't figure out their own product though.

Good luck!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan