Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2024, 09:29 AM   #1

How do you get your SMB to Canada or out West?

We want to camp in Canada this summer, but after building the perfect van, I realized too late that the places we want to take it are many days' driving from here in Texas.

The spot we want to camp is literally a six day drive one-way (12 round trip), which is prohibitive for our two week vacation with kids. (I could handle it one-way, but not round-trip)

Have you guys ever shipped your rig or have it driven one-way? After all the investment into our (4wd E350) van, the last thing I'd want to do is have a stranger drive it. It's also 9.5 feet tall, so I suspect shipping will be difficult.

I know there are threads on shipping on here, but I don't think I've seen one for the purpose of using the van somewhere, and I also know tech is improving that industry (maybe also the driving svcs?).

Pic of my rig for fun:
Attached Thumbnails
2024-01-29 10_26_32.jpg   2024-01-29 10_27_31.jpg  

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:59 AM   #2

I agree, letting someone else drive your van is very risky, and likely quite expensive by the time they get back home. I shipped a van once and found shippers to be hard to find, and I had to be very flexible on the timing. A couple agreed to do it, took my deposit, but then never showed up and the broker refunded my money. You could drive it alone and then fly the family to meet you or simply find somewhere closer to home. Good luck…
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 10:11 AM   #3

Thanks for the thoughts @arctictraveller. Driving one way myself may be a good option. I could do longer days that might drive the fam crazy.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:26 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Thanks for the thoughts @arctictraveller. Driving one way myself may be a good option. I could do longer days that might drive the fam crazy.
That would be my suggestion, and probably less $$$'s than hiring a shipper or Driver...even factoring in any storage fee's & airline ticket for your return.

I've done Maryland to San Francisco twice now (a little over 3K miles one way - Coast to Coast), and achieved each in 3 days. But then I get along famously with the OEM drivers seat in my van! Figuring out a time-line which prevents travel through large metropolitan Cities during peek congestion helps!
Old 01-29-2024, 12:32 PM   #5

Thx for the encouragement @Twoxentrix . I miss the OEM seats a little. I sprang for the one from Europe -- I forgot the name-- that cost more than my first car (people claimed they drove for 10 hours in it and got out feeling like a 22 yr old), and the comfy / easy to adjust stock seats were nice.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:23 PM   #6

I have referred CCV customers needing to ship their rigs and found Joe's service to be excellent, no business affiliation, this is a flat bed service :

ShipNAT.com
Contact name: Joe Tutera
jtutera@shipnat.com (email is best way to contact him)

HE WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION for quote:
Zip code shipping from: ____________
Zip code shipping to: 80537 (This is CCV commercial location)
Type of Van : __________________________________________________ _
Year, Make, Model including extended or regular length, stock or raised roof,
suspension lift, roof rack (he really needs overall height from ground)

He will then get you a quote and will communicate/arrange with you directly.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:54 PM   #7

Thanks Ray for the info on Joe. It's great to know there's someone you've used/recommend.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:00 AM   #8

The best solution I found was to invite family members to drive one way. My daughter and son-in-law drove from LA to Vancouver; my wife and I took Amtrak there and then we switched. Another trip, my in-laws drove to Texas; we flew to meet them, did Big Bend together and then we drove back and they flew home. Takes a bit of planning. I agree it takes a lot of driving to get to some of the places I'd like to go. I'd like to do a cross country trip but don't really want to drive both ways.
bolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:06 AM   #9

Great idea-- thank you for sharing.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:07 PM   #10

I would consider making the drive as a family. I've done a similar trip (wife and two daughters, one with special/medical needs) from San Diego but I was in 1980 Vanagon Westfalia! Knowing what I know now from driving our SMB, it is WAY more comfy and you can cover greater stretches with ease. We did the trip over 16 days so a hair longer that 2 weeks. But it was a blast hitting all the nooks and cool spots along the way. You don't necessarily get to explore the final destination to its fullest but you do get to make the entire journey the destination. Just my 2 cents.
Bosco53 is offline   Reply With Quote