Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

Off Road Tow Insurance

Had an interesting turn of events this past week. Van suffered massive fuel cut at 11,500' on a remote section of trail not long before dusk. Some very kind van folks were staying in a cabin right near where it happened (sheer luck) and offered us a sat phone to use to help find a tow truck. We were looking at a $2k tow bill and it wasn't even a particularly difficult road - just somewhat remote. Cost supposedly driven up by the size and weight of the van. Fortunately after we slept overnight the van started in the morning and we drove off but it got the gears turning. I've seen the Spot beacons with vehicle distress functions, but that's only half of the equation. What do you all carry for tow insurance in remote/distant places?

b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:06 PM   #2

Garage
Bottle of Scotch, to numb the pain when its time to hand over the Credit Card.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #3

I've often thought about this issue, and I've discussed it with my insurance broker (State farm) Most towing insurance I've found has specific limits on where they will travel to pick you up, and most all specify they won't travel off the paved road. State Farm on the other hand didn't have a concrete answer for me, but simply kept saying "send us the bill and we will consider it" I highly suspect they will take one look at a $2K invoice and hand it right back, but one would never know until it happens. Let us know if you find some "off road towing insurance" Best of luck..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #4

Gotcha. That's kind of what I had suspected but wasn't sure if there was something out there I wasn't aware of. Bottom line is carry enough to get back to pavement (or get creative enough to do so) and call AAA from there.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Bottom line is carry enough to get back to pavement (or get creative enough to do so) and call AAA from there.
I carry enough spares and tools to fix anything short of a major failure since I usually travel solo in the back country..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I carry enough spares and tools to fix anything short of a major failure since I usually travel solo in the back country..........

From the list you’ve mentioned in the past, I think you could build an entire second van in the field with your spare parts and tools [emoji3]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
From the list you’ve mentioned in the past, I think you could build an entire second van in the field with your spare parts and tools [emoji3]
A remote build-out you're saying---with careful documentation that'd be a first and quite an undertaking I'm sure. I'd love to see such a project under way.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #8

I'll just leave this here...

Old 09-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #9

Garage
My Father drilled into our minds "always keep a constant eye on whatever you're towing"... Thankfully I interpreted that differently.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #10

I carry a fair amount of parts/tools, and I've now added an obd2 scanner synced to an Android head unit running Torque Pro. Usually in the past a break is from something mechanical/obvious. Suspension, brakes, driveshaft, etc.This is the first time I've been stuck with no idea what to fix and we were miles from anywhere. That was a very different feeling out on the trail. I was pretty close to hopping on the MTB, riding to town, renting a Jeep or utv, and towing it out ourselves.

Side note, I kind of like those headlights Tomsbeast. Hmm.