Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #11

Re: Opinions needed quick please

I talked to the seller and he made a typo in the mileage. It's 147,000 not 14,700. Bummer! I'm still going Thursday to look at it and likely buy it. It's always been garaged and spent the Winters in Florida so hasn't seen snow or salt.
Thanks guys for some good suggestions!

AfterglowBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Yes, I thought so.

Webbmac: Should AfterglowBBQ have any concerns about a Chevy engine with 147,000 miles on it?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Yes, I thought so.

Webbmac: Should AfterglowBBQ have any concerns about a Chevy engine with 147,000 miles on it?
I'd say no, one the interior certainly looks like 14,700 not 147,000, second in my cursory search 200K-300K were not uncommon. If the engine fell out twice by then, you'd just get rid of the van, so I'd put my dollar on 147K being nothing, but double down on that being the right mileage.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #14

We've got a couple 1/2 ton Chevy pickups in our fleet here at work from that era (mid - late 90's) that are knocking on 300k miles with original engines. Of course you know how well a construction worker takes care of a truck that isn't his

At 150k you may need to spend a few bucks to tighten up the steering, perhaps buy some shocks... but I wouldn't let these little items deter you. Looks like a gem!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

AfterglowBBQ

I would check the intake manafolds for leaking, and the tranny cooler lines.

That would be the 5.7litre 350. very strong motor for sure. I wouldnt be scared of the miles and thats a really good price.

my 2 cents

Ron
Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #16

Worst case, 350s are a dime a dozen, no worries with that. I'd be more concerned with the 3/4 ton chassis carrying that weight. Make sure it feels relatively tight in the front end. Find a lot of bumps and listen for rattles. Also, remember, $7,500 is the asking price.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #17

Thanks guys!

The seller claims no oil leaks, no oil consumption, etc. He sounds very sincere and you can tell there is a definite "pride of ownership" present. It's a dark metallic gray and he claims "it really shines". He also mentioned how when he takes it in for service that the mechanics can't believe there's 147,000 miles on it.
He did mention that there are a few minor scratches. I just hope his minor equates to my minor.
Like previously mentioned it's a 4 hour trip away so I am pretty much committed to buying it before I even pull out of the driveway unless there is something major wrong with it like some really bad odors or something.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Worst case, 350s are a dime a dozen, no worries with that. I'd be more concerned with the 3/4 ton chassis carrying that weight. Make sure it feels relatively tight in the front end. Find a lot of bumps and listen for rattles. Also, remember, $7,500 is the asking price.
Thanks Webbmac but I don't think I have much negotiating power since I'm driving that far. I would pretty much have to negotiate before I leave home and then risk not getting it. I know at least one other person has shown interest.
As for finding bumps, that shouldn't be a challenge on Michigan roads, I might have to drive at least a half mile to find some bottomless potholes. My daily driver is a Trailblazer SS which has very responsive steering so this thing is going to feel sloppy to me even when it's at spec but I'm sure your concerns are justified and I will probably have to rebuild it.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #19

AfterglowBBQ,

Great find! Let us know what happens with this one.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #20

Ok, after much soul searching I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not comfortable buying a vehicle with that many miles on it. Even though it apparently has been meticulously cared for parts is parts and they do wear out and usually at an inopportune time. I couldn't reach the seller so had to leave a voice mail so I don't know if someone else is in line for it but it's up for grabs.