Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2024, 11:41 AM   #1

Penthouse Curtain Screws Pulling Out

Hi Folks -

Before I start MacGyver-ing my way into trouble, does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix our penthouse curtains in place in a more permanent manner?

We have repeatedly pulled out screws like in this picture:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wx1RppmDyDfJrjxB7

So far, I've just re-screwd. And then - - I also moved the curtains over a bit to screw them into fresh material; this fix just failed.

The material in our build is a 1/8-inch particle board with a plastic film over the top. This is used in various places in the build by Field/SMB West.

I'm thinking in two directions:

1.) VHB tape a 1-inch strip of 1/4 plywood to the particle board, use screws that are a 1/4 inch longer, and put the curtains back in place.

A bit kludgy - - but relatively simple and straightforward with added material to hold the screws.

2.) Partially remove the particle board, use machine screws instead of the current wood screws with nuts and washers behind the particle board.

I've unscrewed one small section, but not a lot of wiggle room, so - - lots of screws to take out.

I'm a bit worried about the take-out and re-screwing causing everything to loosen up.

Also, still dealing with the particle board alone and not adding material like the other option. Washer stress on the particle board maybe an issue?

All ears on your thoughts...

Thank you!

Em -

bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:13 PM   #2

Garage
Emmett, I had something similar on a boat and the solution was to remove the window covers, and then had a Sail Shop sew a band of heavy duty 1" wide Velcro along the edge of the shade where it mounts to the roof (Our shade had a strip of plastic about 1' wide sewn in the top edge which offered some support, not sure if you have something similar?)
Then placed the other side of the Velcro across the top of the roof to hold the shade (cut the same length obviously). It worked very well, and never had a another problem with the shades. no one could notice it was being held by Velcro, and it made it very easy to remove the shades occasionally to clean. We used outdoor Velcro only because they recommended since Boats do deal with humidity, and I would suggest the same if you go this route (The sail shop did all the work, I only had to identify placement).
Old 02-16-2024, 12:55 PM   #3

That's a creative solution Felix, thank you! I'm headed to Home Depot, I think they have the same or very similar 1/8 particle board with the plastic film on it. I'm going to do a little destructive testing to see how strong it is.

The little I've played around with it in the truck...it's brittle particle board stuff that flakes and the screws pull up the plastic film when you take them out.

Again, thanks for the quick and creative reply!
Old 02-16-2024, 04:58 PM   #4

Bec n em -- if you could post the Home Depot product (if they have it ?) along with name/department - SKU number, etc., for the forum that would be great ! I too have had the same issue in a couple of spots - but fixed with wood glue on the end of the screw/snaps - and its holding for now !?

Felix's fix also sounds /seems like a great fix - he's crammed full of terrific fix it ideas !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 04:52 PM   #5

Hi DoubbleVan2 -

Yup, Twoxentrix is the bomb!

Destructive testing pictures below..Had fun (kinda)...time consuming!

Pictures below of the Home Depot material for you; it's not the same as our ceiling and is 3/16ths, not 1/8".

I did a simple pull test with the SMB/Field fasteners...Suprisingly*(!) got to some 25 lbs before the screws pulled out of the fiberboard...so my working assumption is it's not a pull-out problem per se but a wiggle problem from use; wiggle, fiberboard degrades, and then the screws pull out.

Also of note, even though our build is only 3 years old, we have camped in it over 50% of the time so some 600 days of almost always pulling down the insulator/reflector curtains to attenuate heat and cold; a lotta use for a short time.

And the rear ones are failing more...the guess here is we lean over and pull on an angle (causing a "wiggle") where the fronts we have easier access to and tend to pull straight down.

I haven't decided yet...leaning toward using screws again in conjunction with VHB tape and 1/4" hard wood...and yup, I'm overthinking it...got the wood...screws, and snaps are coming from McMaster car on Tues...gunna test this.

I was able to test the ceiling material because we took the larger section of the Penthouse bed out of the truck, took the bed foam off the smaller section, and used the smaller section for clothes storage in compression packing cubes; no bed foam, so space for the cubes with the top is down.

So - - I have the large section of the bed that we don't use and cut out a piece of the 1/8" laminate-covered fiberboard that looks to be one in the same material as the Penthouse ceiling that the curtains are screwed into.

The photos below are of the experiments...and yup, it's 1/8" fiberboard...easily damaged and doesn't take a screw well as you can see in the pictures.

Also did a test of the VHB tape on raw hardwood because 3M says to "seal the wood" and wanted to see how it held up without sealing...some 75 lbs and didn't let go...even on a right angle pull...and tested to see if I could get it apart with a razor blade...yup...came right apart after slicing from both sides.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JQksWhMrTjAV7PxQA
Old 02-22-2024, 12:59 PM   #6

You could try the old tried and true toothpicks (flat) and wood glue, tho better might be toothpicks dipped in thin epoxy, so that the screw goes into a wet plug of epoxy and the hole is tightened with the new wood that is not particle board...Push in the toothpicks and break off...

Easy peezy.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:54 PM   #7

Thanks moorefc!!...more creative ideas for me to stew on!!...have time tomorrow to do a dry run on the workbench with the added VHB tape and wood...will post up pics if it looks halfway decent..