Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2023, 04:14 PM   #1

Refrigerator disposal

I got a new van fridge, and for the life of me can’t find a place to get rid of the old one for less than $100. Is that what you all are paying to dispose of your old fridges? All the junk haulers seem to be pick up only and charge a $100 min and the local landfill doesn’t take hazardous material, where the heck am I suppose to take this darn thing?!?

Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:26 PM   #2

Up here in Idaho, it is placed lovingly in the front yard for our neighborhood's viewing pleasure and call it good.

Did you check for appliance recycling centers? This one looks like it takes them for free if you drop it off.

Reliable Appliance
988 Dayton Street
Aurora, CO 80010
303-344-4014
Website
Notes: Accepts major kitchen and laundry appliances for refurbishing or recycling. Licensed to recycle freon. Drop off (free), or pick up is also available. Will also pay cash for late model appliances.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:48 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDACamper View Post
Up here in Idaho, it is placed lovingly in the front yard for our neighborhood's viewing pleasure and call it good. .

Can confirm to Idaho…
Old 12-12-2023, 05:04 PM   #4

Sweet thanks! I thought those places only took stuff when you bought things through them! I was wrong. Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2023, 01:23 PM   #5

Sometimes when i see threads like this I'm blown away by what it must be like to live in some of the Western states. I mean, I love the western states, but perhaps I should just keep visiting.

Over here you'd put it out on the street and the metal recycling bums would come along and get it within a day. If not, the city would when they make their regular junk pick up.

These are the benefits I pay such little taxes for.

Good luck, OP, seriously.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:46 PM   #6
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Sometimes when i see threads like this I'm blown away by what it must be like to live in some of the Western states. I mean, I love the western states, but perhaps I should just keep visiting.

Over here you'd put it out on the street and the metal recycling bums would come along and get it within a day. If not, the city would when they make their regular junk pick up.

These are the benefits I pay such little taxes for.

Good luck, OP, seriously.
Where I live in California the local appliance recycling place takes them for free. The trash pickup company will also take them but there's a $20 fee if you do it that way.

The main issue with fridges isn't state-specific, it's because venting the refrigerant to the air is illegal under federal law.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:06 PM   #7

Where im at we have a hazordous material waste disposal facility. I cut mine in half and left it out on the curb for the trash man to take. They didnt take it so i took it to the landfill and they wouldnt allow me to dump it. So i asked him exactly what am i supposed to do with it, drive out in the country and throw it in a ditch? Thats when i was informed there is an actual hazordous material reclamtion center site in town. Obviously it wasnt free though.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:41 AM   #8

Yeah, our local electric company takes refrigerators and will actually pay you $50 for them, or so I heard. So when I called and asked they said it only applies to full size refrigerators not mini fridges, but they did tell me if I had a full size for them to pick up they could also take my tiny RV fridge! That one left me scratching my head. Turns out there is a local appliance company that uses recycled fridges to train their new techs on before sending them out to pasture, so I am gonna take it to them today.
Old 12-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post

Were you near the Tornado? Hope everything is OK....

While it must be nice to have bums pick up your trash, I'm happy to live where there are no bums. Becoming somewhat off an oddity 'out west' these days.

Usually when I have something like that to get rid of I can put it on marketplace or craigslist for free and someone will come grab it.

Our transfer station accepts fridges as long as they are empty and the door is off.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #10
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Were you near the Tornado? Hope everything is OK....

While it must be nice to have bums pick up your trash, I'm happy to live where there are no bums. Becoming somewhat off an oddity 'out west' these days.
When I did live in a place where metal scavengers were a thing, I found you usually DIDN'T want them messing with your stuff...because they wouldn't take the whole fridge, they'd just rip out the copper tubing and wiring and leave you with a mess of insulation and sheet metal to deal with.