Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2024, 11:29 AM   #21

Tuffy Lockbox

I installed a Tuffy Laptop Security Lockbox in my rig a few years ago. I put it back in the garage which is only accessed through the rear doors. It works well and provides some peace of mind. It was also fairly easy to install (bolt in).

Here's a link to the site:

https://tuffyproducts.com/products/u...ox/?sku=182-01

AdventureStorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:30 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconlin View Post
has anyone looked at these head rest safes?

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/co...BoCC9YQAvD_BwE
I'd never come across these before, pretty slick!
Hidden in plain sight, I can see how no one would pay attention to them since it's pretty much a staple in all vehicles (unless they took the seats).
Thanks for posting sconlin , I'd have purchased a set for my rig immediately if I didn't have high-backs.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:32 PM   #23

Without giving too much info., I utilize the penthouse area. It's pretty unlikely this area will be explored by infiltrators wanting to take a nap.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 03:50 PM   #24
Orv

Garage
You never know what thieves will decide to take. My aunt once had her truck broken into and her entire collection of 8-track tapes stolen. This was in the late 1990s, when they were already a dead format. (We figured maybe the thieves were high and thought they were CDs.)
Old 02-15-2024, 04:02 PM   #25

This almost fits under the standard E series seat pedestal with the safe door swinging open through the front opening. The feet need trimmed and maybe the carpet under the safe. Worst case 1/4" spacers. A 15" laptop won't fit, but protection will.

https://www.harborfreight.com/019-cu...afe-62981.html
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00seattle View Post
fake battery shells
I like this idea!

Use a regular battery hold down and its moderately secured to the piont of needing hand tools to get it out.
Since under the hood there is only one battery hold down, would I need to add another?

Has anyone else in this thread tried this approach?

Thank you
Another thing to consider is a decoy "safe". One that looks like it has valuables in it. The crooks are already in your van. They've broken a window or jimmy'd your locks. So that part of prevention is gone. Now the crooks want to get what they're after and boogie. If you have something that is in a typical "hiding place" say under a seat, or center console, etc, and it "looks" like a security safe of sorts that is mildly secured down so the crooks don't have to do a lot of damage to get it out. They'll take it and leave. Now, you have to put something of mild value in it to complete the ruse. An old cell phone that doesn't work, a wallet with $20 and some expired and closed credit cards.(even prepaid cards that were never activated). Make it look like a real wallet. Slips of paper with phone numbers, business cards, etc. If you don't fake it with "something" of value you'll just piss off the crooks and they'll come back in short order and enact revenge on your van. But if they think they got whatever you had of value they'll move on to the next victim. Think like a smash and grab crook. They want an easy score and disappear. They're not hired spies looking for detailed valuables.
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:02 PM   #27
Orv

Garage
Heh, we accidentally did that at a previous job. Boss had a fire safe in his office that was visible through a window. Thieves broke in, passed up all the computer equipment and even an open jar of petty cash in the snack room, the only thing they wanted was that safe.

The only things in the safe were software licenses and CD-ROMs.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:52 PM   #28

This may be an option if you've swapped in a set of seats with the twin post-style headrest. Would be a good solution for the items you mentioned: wallet, cash, passport, papers, etc...

https://www.theheadrestsafe.com/pages/shop

yonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:30 PM   #29

I installed a dorm safe in my closet and bolted it through the floor of the closet. It's a good compromise between weight and security and has three shelves on the right side with an open area on the left that can accommodate a laptop. It even has a small port in the side that you can run a power cord through to charge the laptop while it is in the safe.

The only drawback I've found is that items will often fall off the shelves and end up in the bottom of the safe if I do any traveling off pavement. I need to get some plastic boxes that I can velcro to the shelves to keep the smaller items in place.

https://www.deansafe.com/products/stl-dorm-safe
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lockbox, responsible, security, valuables