Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

Garage
Security Ideas Video

Some good ideas in here for added security. Warning, some of these folks are REALLY serious. It’s clear they’ve experienced some things I haven’t (like being broken into while you’re in the van

I did like the simple metal piece that slides on to open eye bolts on the rear doors (around 3:40). Take a look:

https://youtu.be/0BjBYbIrZnE

Old 06-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

Damn! don't think we'll be taking our van to Europe anytime soon.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #3

Garage
Video offers some "think out of the box" ideas I like.
Cant say I have ever seen that Thule side door lick before - Could be used on both the Barn doors and rear doors
Kind of like the simplicity of the front door brackets mounted on the inside utilizing a pin to secure the door in place (drawback is having to exit barn doors each time)
Thanks for sharing Otter
Old 06-08-2020, 05:04 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Nice compilation security video---definitely does a bit out-of-the-box thinking!

The Thule exterior door lock if not available here in the USA can be substituted with a product called Slick Locks. Time permitting have a look: https://www.slicklocks.com/ I installed these to good effect, they're a nice quick and easy addition requiring no drilling or cutting into the original door shells. Full disclosure though---I removed and sold mine when I found suitable electric dead bolt locks.

The small plates with holes fitting over two open eye hooks in the door is a nice idea too---great security when sleeping I thought. They'd work well for enhanced intrusion protection when away from your van too, just not as easily deployed as electric deadbolts.

Nice find and thanks for sharing!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #5

I was just reading reviews on Amazon for those Thule locks, and they get very poor reviews. I might look into the SlickLocks...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

Garage
Thunderbolt Locks

These Thunderbolt locks look pretty good. $200 a bolt set. They have some good videos, including this installation video and another that shows the Slick Lock being sawzalled off in 24 seconds. Yikes.

https://youtu.be/pR2TCMU66JE
Attached Thumbnails
4A44FBF2-2CCB-4E5B-9525-46DD15477B0D.jpg   CEE01C62-91A4-4DC9-B2B6-3CF3F1FF878A.jpg   9E6CF47B-27FD-4C50-86FB-E70085CC272E.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
.....another that shows the Slick Lock being sawzalled off in 24 seconds. Yikes.

The biggest advantage of Slick Locks is they're easily installed, no drilling or cutting whatsoever. Also completely reversible with little to no signs of them ever having been in place.

Never heard of the Thunderbolt locks but they seem to have all the attributes of a good deadbolt----that makes them a strong contender IMHO.

I will say the Thunderbolt's and those I've linked to previously have on downside as received----the cable between the bolt and actuator tend to be entirely too long for the E-Series side and rear doors. The extra or unnecessary cable & sheath length added too much resistance to the push/pull action I wanted to minimize giving the actuators and easier chore. This is expected since that extra length typically ends up in a coil---this adds to the force required to engage/disengage the lock bolt and takes up room inside the door shell we all know can be used for better things.

A company in CA did the work for me, charges were under $50 for both shipped, lead time 2 weeks or so. IIRC I kept the replaced sheaths for some reason, they're tuck away in one of those places I'm sure I'd never forget. That was then, this is now and I have no idea where they are.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #8

Working on planning a Michigan to Cali ski and surf trip in a few weeks. The video was GREAT! So many good options- the Europeans really do have things figured out! The eye bolt option is simple and durable- Going to look at doing this to my 01 E350 with barn doors- both the back and side and just exit the front- that does leave my main doors vulnerable but feel I'm mitigating some risk with the barn doors- those seem the most convenient to break into (maybe I'm wrong?) Maybe the Jimmi Jammer for the front doors, modest investment for the durability. The A1 Electric deadbolt system looks solid. I don't have that much confidence in my auto locks- After removing the B Pillar sportsmobile North's wiring was ridiculously amatuer...some were soldered and had tape- others were just taped- either way- there were about 5 places the wiring had worked itself loose- not much room in there to get a better fitment but finally got the locks working again and the wires re-attached. Appreciate everyone's insight's on here and time into working out details!
Michisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote