Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #41

They've been working with this company that's making the shell for them for 5 years. They did 1 prototype and 3 beta test models and spent a lot of time figuring out how to stop the thing from leaking. Other Class C motorhomes don't have to endure the stresses that a Class 4 trail puts on a vehicle. That's a lot of stress to put on such a long seam of metal bonded to fiberglass and have it not leak. It could be that they need to recoup all the R&D they put into getting that right. Just a guess.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #42

Garage
Maybe they charge an additional $25k over what it really should cost....and they keep that in the bank as insurance....

....so that when everyone starts bringing their new SMB Classics back to fix the leaking fiberglass-to-metal roof seam, SMB West still won't lose money on all the extra do-over work.

(You guys do know that I'm just having fun with all of this....right? )
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #43

I wonder how hard it would be to get a used extended van and mate the back of it to
a new cab and chassis? I always see used vans at my local pick a part. I would think
you could build something for a lot less than 160 grand.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
I wonder how hard it would be to get a used extended van and mate the back of it to
a new cab and chassis? I always see used vans at my local pick a part. I would think
you could build something for a lot less than 160 grand.
That's what I was saying earlier........seriously, it seems like the steel cab-rearward steel van body is the part of the van that's the least "worn out".....why not harvest that part of the van and just weld it to a brand-new cab and chassis....kabam! Brand-new van........plus you've probably got a seriously killer rear axle (right from the factory) in SRW configuration........looks like (for the 138" WB SRW) they're rated at a GVWR of 10500 pounds.......

2018 E-Series Cutaway E-350 SRW
https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...0-cutaway-srw/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Ok this is just off the cuff, but....

....seems to me, if you're truly seriously inclined to gear up and DIY a fiberglass van body onto a cutaway....and you have a super-nice/low-mile cutaway chassis with a desirable motor/transmission in it....one might as well consider finding a clean, scrapped **actual Econoline body** and simply having that welded to the back of the cutaway cab.

Probably way cheaper and better structural results, to TomH's line of commentary. Nice welds don't leak, unlike those fiberglass-to-steel bonded joints might!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #45

2 and a half years ago I found a 1999 E350 dual wheel ambulance. I bought it
with plans of making it an RV. It has the 7.3 Powerstroke with 62000 original
miles. I also thought about removing the ambulance box and welding on the extended
van body.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #46

Lots of donor vans were being picked up at the local cable company near my office. I see brand new transit vans being driven so it looks like they are replacing at least part of the fleet. Not sure where they go to from here.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #47

Sportsmobile Ford 4X4 Cutaway Video and Factory Tour

Sportsmobile Ford 4X4 Cutaway Video and Factory Tour:

The above video has been posted up on YouTube for a while, perhaps of interest for Cutaway fans to see production units out on the SMB factory floor being worked on.

Best,

E -
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #48

I got to see the Classic prototype when I was there getting my top on. I looked around the raw body and it was cool. The finished classic was up on a lift so I didn't get to see it.

It's a great concept and kudos for them for keeping it alive. It could easily be argued that they missed some opportunity to do something different on the back, but it's still cool.

To me, the biggest bonus would be the cutaway. V10 6 speed with a big rear fuel tank, NO ****ING RSC and a full float rear......Yum.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
It could easily be argued that they missed some opportunity to do something different on the back
According to my conversations with Brian F. and owner Alan Feld at SMB-W, they have been exploring going with a box shape with vertical walls at 73" width for the last five years and are still exploring the possibility. This Classic iteration will have to be very financially successful before they move from theoretical design to a vertical wall prototype, however. It's a lot of R&D to recover for two new designs.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #50

The Classic is a smart move because it's unique to SMB, and fulfills the gap left by the Econoline.

The problem with a slab-sided box (which I agree is more useful) is anybody could could slap one one on, and it would be harder to SMB to maintain their differentiation.