Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #1

SnoMaster comptessor Amps

Hi gents!
I just got (bought) SMDZ-EX85D brand new
AS I was running it on12v at compressor low speed I observed consistently 3-3.5A draw on battery this is well over specification 2.5A and drains battery over 50% faster - any idea or your experience - thanks in advance

Apache Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:22 PM   #2

Do the specs say what the operating temperature is at the 2.5 amp draw? It may be higher than your set point. The lower the set point the more energy the fridge will use to maintain it.

We have a Norcold single zone chest type fridge/freezer. It pulls about 5 amps on startup and then settles down to around 2.5 amps to maintain set point. We have the temperature set to 36 degrees which means that the unit turns on around 41 degrees and cools back to 36. I would expect your dual zone unit to draw a bit more.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:20 PM   #3

thanks Larrie I have one compartment set at 44 and other at 7, and no the spec only says 2.5A at slow speed, I though noticed that it starts with 3.5A and gradually goes to less than 3A with duty cycle around 40/60 ON/OFF, so maybe it is normal, thanks again
Apache Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:56 PM   #4

The other thing that affects the on/off run time is the temperature inside the van. The hotter the van gets the more the fridge runs. I think that most units amp ratings are at 72 degrees air temperature. So a inside van temperature of 100, with the windows closed, will make the unit work harder.

You can also make sure that there is plenty of space around the unit for airflow to the condenser intake and exhaust grilles.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #5

We've had that same fridge/freezer in our van for the last 5-6 years. Best camping investment we ever made. It has run continously all these years without hickup. The battery in the remote bubbled up a while ago, but was easily replaced with one from amazon at $10.
THe compressor has been set on auto for years now (1 deg/37deg) and of course consumption varies greatly throughout the year.
From 1.2kwh/day in July to 0.6kwh/day in Jan. Amp draw while running is betweeen 2.5A and 3.5A. the interesting numbers are the kwh used per period of time. It is quite effeicient.
Srafter2 is offline   Reply With Quote