Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2023, 10:06 AM   #1

Used ('00 - '13) E Series Sportsmobile Questions - First Van

Hi all, have been browsing the classifieds wistfully for the past couple years but life circumstances have now changed and it looks like everything is lining up nicely to be able to make a purchase soon. This would be my first van, but I'm no stranger to living out of a car/tent for extended (1-3 month) trips.

Goal for the van is to do some long weekend trips on the east coast, with sporadic trips out west for a few months at a time, maybe stretch it out and head down to Baja for a couple months as well. I ski so some of the travel would be in the winter and in mountainous areas, some forest service roads but mainly paved passes etc. (think ouray --> silverton, teton pass). In the summer months usage would be similar, I don't plan to do full on off roading but would like to be able to get out into the backcountry. I want a fully built out interior (original sportsmobile build).

I have done a fair bit of research and seem to have settled on something likely from around 2000-2009. For a while I was thinking of going 2WD with good all terrain tires or maybe snows for the winter but after doing some more reading it seems like 4WD is perhaps the more sensible option. Budget is up to $80k for a 4WD, though it would be nice to spend less ($60k or so). Have seen 2WD vehicles I like for much cheaper, like $30-40k.

Have a few questions:

1. 4WD vs 2WD - seems 4WD is most sensible for reasons above but 2WD with chains for the worst case seems like it may still be a possibility.

2. Engine - not planning on towing really ever, want as good gas mileage as possible (realizing they all will be bad), and am used to underpowered cars, so leaning towards a 5.4L V8 but not really sure about this. I think in my use case I'd go gas over diesel.

3. Electric vs. manual poptop - seems like electric is the way to go, concerned about the lady being able to operate the manual one

4. Furnace/AC - would really like to have an external furnace like the webasto, I guess this would have to be propane if I go with a gas engine, otherwise if diesel engine I could run it off the main fuel tank? Not sure about rear A/C or how much that is really needed.

5. RB vs EB - slight preference for RB for general ease of use, parking, off roading, etc. Don't think the extra space of the EB is a need, but I'm sure it would be nice.

slappy sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #2

Just saw this 2013 on Facebook in Maine for $99k. Looks pretty pristine and underpriced IMO. I'd be surprised if it didn't sell quickly. Above your budget, but if you can stretch I doubt you'll find much nicer. (No relation to seller.) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6727641030095/

4WD vs 2WD has been discussed forever here, with solid points on both sides. Good snow tires (plus chains) will do you pretty well on snow with 2wd, but of course 4wd is better. Just depends how much of a premium you're willing to spend on 4WD. Having owned two 2WD SMBs over the past 13 years, I've been perfectly happy with 2WD with AT tires and limited slip rear on lots of dirt/gravel roads here on the east coast and out west. But I never drive it in snow.

RB vans definitely a bit more manageable for parking and such, but I really appreciate the extra inches in my EB van when I'm bringing along biking, hiking, and all kinds of other stuff. It does make a difference.

Where are you on the east coast? I'm in the Philly area; you're welcome to take a look at my 2WD EB if you're in the area.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy sam View Post

1. 4WD vs 2WD - seems 4WD is most sensible for reasons above but 2WD with chains for the worst case seems like it may still be a possibility.

2. Engine - not planning on towing really ever, want as good gas mileage as possible (realizing they all will be bad), and am used to underpowered cars, so leaning towards a 5.4L V8 but not really sure about this. I think in my use case I'd go gas over diesel.

3. Electric vs. manual poptop - seems like electric is the way to go, concerned about the lady being able to operate the manual one

4. Furnace/AC - would really like to have an external furnace like the webasto, I guess this would have to be propane if I go with a gas engine, otherwise if diesel engine I could run it off the main fuel tank? Not sure about rear A/C or how much that is really needed.

5. RB vs EB - slight preference for RB for general ease of use, parking, off roading, etc. Don't think the extra space of the EB is a need, but I'm sure it would be nice.
1. Two wheel drive with a lift kit and a rear locker can get you lots of places.

2. I've got a 2008 5.4L with penthouse top, 285/17's, bumpers etc (about 8800 lbs) and I'm perfectly happy with it. If you go with larger tires the stock 3.73 gearing makes climbing grades tough. I re-geared mine to 4.10s and it's way better. Some go lower than 4.10s as well. I occasionally tow a small dirt bike trailer without issue out west.

3. Manual tops work quite well once the springs are adjusted properly. Most are hard to raise and come down easy..sometimes too easy. Spring adjustment is straightforward if you are mechanically inclined. Adding stuff on the roof (boxes, racks, solar panels) require a spring adjustment or the top gets very hard to lift.

If the lady is petite and or getting up in age electric is certainly an option.

4. Factory rear heat and air is common on the passenger vans, and somewhat rare on cargo vans but they are around. I have a propex (propane) heater with my 5.4L gas motor and it's a propane sipper.....it burns grams per hour. I suppose if you are spending lots of days out a heater that connects to the fuel tank may be less of a hassle. There are also gasoline fired heaters but they aren't as common as the diesel flavor.

5. RB vs EB is personal choice; in my case the EB would barely fit in my driveway.

One other thing to look for is a full floating rear axle; they can handle lots more vehicle weight than the semi-float. They are somewhat more common on some year passenger vans, like 2008.

2008 vans have the updated nose/grill/headlights but the old style dash and seats. 2009+ also have the updated dash and seats.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #4

One more thing.......V10's have a beefier/more desirable transmission than the V8's. The gas mileage between the two is similar, with the 5.4L getting a little bit better mileage.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:14 AM   #5

Sam, for your intended use I'd recommend an 08/09 or newer 5.4l 2wd.

You can find one for a LOT less than the high end of your budget and have plenty of room to upgrade as you use it and figure out your needs. If you are unsure if you need 4wd that means you probably don't.

Many people, me included, have a diesel heater in a gas van. Lots of threads on how to do this. Definitely the best value and most efficient.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #6

[QUOTE=BrianW;324153]Just saw this 2013 on Facebook in Maine for $99k. Looks pretty pristine and underpriced IMO. I'd be surprised if it didn't sell quickly. Above your budget, but if you can stretch I doubt you'll find much nicer. (No relation to seller.) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6727641030095/

That van is nice! listed at $89k, not $99k. I imagine that van will hold value well being its the newest year, 50 layout, nice interior color, and it has the V10. Like you said, it "should" sell pretty quickly at that price.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #7

We've been really happy with our 2wd rig which has a weldtec suspension lift, good A/T tires and a limited slip. That gets us everywhere we want to take a rig this size/ weight. Ground clearance and good tires are IMO 90% of most folks needs.
motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #8

If you are spending the money, a used 4x4 with a diesel will have more buy-in but be an easier sell and hold its value better than anything 2WD and gas engine. The diesels drive nicer and tow nicer even than the V10s, way more torque. They are also a lot better on fuel. 15-16 MPG vs 8-9 MPG. Diesels do cost more in maintenance but often have longer maintenance intervals (5k oil changes vs 3k for example)

Think about a few things - regardless of driveline or body:
Tax/Title/License cost the same
Non-engine-related maintenance costs the same (wheels, tires, brakes, suspension)
Any modifications cost the same

For me, the preference would be diesel 4x4, RB, power top, diesel heater, no A/C.

-Diesel 4x4 because of resale and how nice they drive
-RB because its a weekend rig for me and the wife, not full time.
-Power top because its oh-so-nice when you are moving every day.
-Diesel heater because its one less thing to worry about filling up.
-No A/C because we are rarely or never in a place with shore power and don't want to run a generator and A/C isnt practical on battery.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_ern_101 View Post

For me, the preference would be diesel 4x4, RB, power top, diesel heater, no A/C.

That about perfectly sums up what I'll be looking for when my other stuff sells.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:28 PM   #10

No rear AC (either no Starcool or OEM) is an absolute deal breaker for us.l after many early years without. Every single van rig for the past 20 years has rear HVAC.

The factory rear HVAC makes the interior volume environmental management so much easier and nicer. Up front is not getting blasted while the rear of the van is getting near nothing. Arrive with everything at the desired temp.

Shore or generator powered AC - I get not having that since we are off grid almost all of the time. But, while driving - very nice to have rear HVAC.

V10 vs Diesel - We have had both and currently have both (also currently have 5.4) The V10 is a far nicer power plant and just as powerful as the diesel 7.3 (w Hydra tuner) each has its wonderful characteristics. I would be hard pressed to have to pick one or the other. If I were moderate to heavy towing a lot, then a slight lean toward the diesel. In terms of "how nice they drive" - the V10, for me, is the "nicer" driver - effortless, smooth, quiet. That said, the leer is something about the 7.3 diesel that I connect with. Maybe back to lots of time on sail and power boats with diesels.

Fuel mileage between the 6.8 and the 5.4 - not much if any, from my experience.