Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

Winterize year round?

I will not be using my Sportsmobile this year at all, however I will be starting it up and taking it on short drives from time to time. Can I - and should I leave it winterized throughout the summer and fall? I put rv anti freeze in the water system in the Fall.

Thanks!

tpp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #2

Garage
It doesnt present an issue to leave it in (I've done the same on several occasions when I had my Boat). BUT, Most of these "anti freeze" solutions are pigmented, so its possible you see a little discoloration develop (stain) on the tank from where the fluid sat for an extended period of time.
I would also suggest occasionally turning on the pump and allow a little water do pass through the faucet (2 cups worth)- Instructions I received and encouraged to follow with my Boat... never questioned why.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #3

Once the system is filled with anti freeze and you have circulated it, you can then drain it if your concerned about staining, since any spots that may have held up water now contain antifreeze. After years of using RV antifreeze for winterizing my boat in Alaska, I started simply blowing out all the water with compressed air. Even if there was a little left over puddle of water somewhere in one of the lines, it never mattered. So, I think you can leave it as long as you want.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Agree with ArcticT...Blowing out is (to us) much better than the RV antifreeze...many reasons, BUT main reason is lingering smell and taste of antifreeze in water...we drained and ran through several tanks of water before we felt it was finally rid of residue...now we use the $3 RV adapter for your city water intake and blow away...we have a flush toilet in ours, so first year forgot to flush out as we blew out, and suffered a broken line in...had to replace toilet...

Another advantage of using the blowout technique is we have winterized in warm weather states as we head back home to the frozen midwest...so easy!
Attached Thumbnails
5DF43925-5318-4CA9-873B-5C0BB592064B.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterize