Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #1
psc

Question Front anti-sway bar clamp bolt holes losing threads

My 2001 SMB (Quigley conversion) lost its bolts from the clamp on the driver side anti-sway bar. I also lost the clamp as a result. The bushing stayed on. These things can be replaced. But I inspected the bolt holes on the frame rail and noticed that the threads are gone. These holes need to be rethreaded, but the Ford service is scratching his head, as these days, if it's not remove and replace, he doesn't know what to do.
So I have some questions, hoping the experts here may be able to answer:
1) Can I drill out and rethread to a larger size? Or is this frame rail material really hard?
2) Alternate option is to get a 3/8 piece of flat steel, tap two holes the span of the original clamp, match the two stock holes and then weld to the frame?
3) Same idea as (2) but drill a couple more holes on either end and bolt onto the frame? Which is the stronger attachment (longer lasting), weld or bolt?

Thanks.

Peter

psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #2

Easiest fix is just re-tap it with the next size up. That's what I did after a seized steering stabilizer ripped one side out (in my case, I did a little straightening with a BFH first). It's 35ksi steel so it's it's not soft, but softer than the 50ksi steel in the newer F-series. A regular tap will handle it fine. Might not even need to drill it first. For opening up a hole, regular high-speed-steel bits work fine. If you ever need to drill new holes later, cobalt bits work far better.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
psc

I think so also. In fact, the only reason that the dealer was reluctant is due to the 'different' sizes of tap/SAE vs metric issue. I am guessing that the thread is 10mm, so I think anything above 3/8' would work. I just don't have the taps to do this, although I am leaning toward getting a set. I have the cobalt bits. I installed the Hellwig rear anti-sway bars that required drilling 1" holes. Yep, pretty hard steel.

So I chatted with the dealer service guy and convinced him to just clean out the holes and tap with the next size up. I also convinced him to use SAE/fine if that's what he has, just let me know what size it is for my own reference. He is now safe from liability.
This is probably a lesson for me to think about getting a set of tap and die from Harbor Freight, which would be cheaper than what the dealer will charge for labor. I'm going through a lazy spell right now: retired 6 months and don't want to do nothin'.

Peter
psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #4

Took mine off when I found this. Don't miss them.

This was rear mount

dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote