Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #21

Re: Too Ignorant to pick Wheels/Tires

Back to wheels tires, I have BFG's in 285/75 16.... they're D rated, really want to move to E rated. Will look at Toyos. In 16's, is that a good size to stick with? The BFGs ride great.

Any reason to switch to 17's? I've got a 2002 Quigley, so 16's clear the brakes, so I would think more sidewall is better (at least offroad) so stick with 16's. Quigley also said something about my wheels are only rates to 60 PSI....? Anyway, now is the time for me to pick wheels.... and tires.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #22

17s are easier to find E in certain sizes, and they clear brake upgrades (not current on what is available, esp Quigley)

16s leave more rubber like you said.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Back to wheels tires, I have BFG's in 285/75 16.... they're D rated, really want to move to E rated. Will look at Toyos. In 16's, is that a good size to stick with? The BFGs ride great.

Any reason to switch to 17's? I've got a 2002 Quigley, so 16's clear the brakes, so I would think more sidewall is better (at least offroad) so stick with 16's. Quigley also said something about my wheels are only rates to 60 PSI....? Anyway, now is the time for me to pick wheels.... and tires.
You might want to look at the total weight the tire can support if you have a heavy van. I never did look into that. I also don't know how 17's run aired down compared to 16's. I stuck with the 16 open country but 17's would be my choice if I could.

I just don't know about the hitting/rubbing in off road situations. If the overall size is close, one of these days I'll spring for 8 tires and rims. I'd like to do a brake upgrade which is more important that the tires IMO but the cost of around 8K is holding me back.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #24

Nice Mike!!!..
I think I will go with the 17 inch Mojave as well..and hopefully Nitto Terra Grappler's 285/70/17
Whistler40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #25

One more question: Quigley said that the *wheels* on my SMB are rated Max 60 PSI, and that the Ford rear spec is 80 PSI cold.

Now given the tires are different sizes/load factors than stock vans, maybe the tire pressure should be less (I saw other threads said 55F/60R) but I was just wondering if anyone knew if the ATX Mojave's (love the teflon!) have a MAX PSI rating? (I see they're rated 3100lb which is cool).

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Too Ignorant to pick Wheels/Tires

My wheels that came from Quigley with the Hancook tires were 65psi front, 80psi back. now, with the Teflon Mojaves my local tire shop has me at 70psi front/80psi rear. And I am happy to say that this last month I have been driving on them, they are way smoother a ride. My partner says it is like a Lincoln compared to what it was before.

Today I added full length running boards with a 4 inch drop. MUCH better than my Carr hoop steps. (even if those were cool.) I will get a picture of them this weekend and post.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #27

Oh, and I should say the running boards were found and installed by CYCLEVAN in South River, NJ. (I tried them since NOMADCAT had mentioned they did good work for him.) I thought they did nice work, were fast, friendly, and gave me a room to work in with wifi so I could still be on the clock at my own job while they worked on the van.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #28

So, here is a picture of my van with the new wheels and the existing Carr hoop steps. (that had flaked completely to gray and I had spray painted black again. ) And a picture of it now with the full length, 4 inch drop running boards. (Did this on driver side too.) Carr steps might have had a cooler look but, I actually think this is pretty clean looking on the van. And it is much easier getting in and out for folks.)
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309632754.320137.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #29

second pic with boards now...
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309632954.743535.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #30

3rd pic of driver side with boards