Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #1

Snow Chains for E350

Looking for guidance on purchasing snow chains for my E350EB. Heading out to CO and MT in a few weeks and figure better to be prepared then not. It is a 2 wheel drive, LSD full float rear axle. Currently running 265/75-16 Cooper AT3 tires.

Not having purchased snow chains before, I don't know if there is anything specific I need to look for when it comes to a 1 ton van. Can you recommend a type of chain to search for or a place to purchase them from.

Thanks for the help.

GVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #2

Google is your friend. Lots and lots of info out there on this but seldom discussed here since a majority of SMBs are 4wd.

I would check your local CL. Being a seasonal, seldom used item they come up a lot. I'm in Tennessee where no chains are needed ever and there are 10-20 on my local CL right now, mostly new in box.

All that said I would spend my money elsewhere. Get some MaxTrax or something you can get yourself out of a pinch with. Chaining up is a pain. You already have AT tires and LSD so you're ahead of the game already.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #3

Yeah but some states require chains, even with LT tires. So you almost have to carry them, even if you don’t use them.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #4

For passenger vehicles, really? I had no idea. I thought that was only commercial vehicles.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

They are required if you plan on going over any snowy mountain passes. And the sounds of it your are. Any tire shop should sell them. I bought a set from Lesh swab and they work fine. Not sure if they still does this but if you don’t use them you can return them after the season. I’m pretty sure if there required and don’t have them when going over a pass you will get a fine.
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
For passenger vehicles, really? I had no idea. I thought that was only commercial vehicles.
All western states have chain laws except Idaho. CA, OR and WA periodically have chain checkpoints and will turn you around.

Even when chains are not required, you are still required to carry them in snow zones. OSP will cite you if you get stuck and don't have chains, even when they aren't required to be installed.

The 4x4 exemption is only for rigs under 10,000 pounds.
carringb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #7

Ps- I run the Heavy Duty Quick fit diamond chains from Les Schwab. When I'm towing, I'll also install the spider bungees which can be bought separately.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #8

Garage
If you tow in Oregon they are required over the pass. They made my dad chain up even with studless snow tires and 4x4.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. I have heard that in some areas, snow chains may be mandatory. The area we are going they plow roads, but the with the elevation change and snow still on the roads after plowing, would rather be safe than sorry. Sliding down a mountain pass in van does not sound like much fun.

Was trying to find out if standard snow chains would work on a 9,000lb vehicle. Didn't have much luck on Google. Will check out CL and Les Schwab.
GVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #10

I have a 1998 E350 quigley 285-75-r16 tires and the chains from les Schwab work fine. Doesn’t matter if they plow the roads or not. It is wat it is
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote