Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongcrosby View Post
For as much as they charge to list a vehicle on the SMB website, they should offer more than three tiny photos and a little blurb. I've always been underwhelmed with their site.
While I sort of agree, it's the exposure you're paying for. If you're interested in a van you see you can get in touch with the owner and get all the info/pics/etc. you like, and they have much more interest and confidence in selling than any random scammer or fool who finds you on Craigslist.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongcrosby View Post
For as much as they charge to list a vehicle on the SMB website, they should offer more than three tiny photos and a little blurb. I've always been underwhelmed with their site.
If you contact them about a particular van they generally have more info available, including a Ford dealer inspection report, but they don't post all that.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #23

SMB charges $2500 I believe for listing the van if it is on-site. They put up 4 photos and the description provided by the seller. For the TX site, you can click on the more info link and you will get a lot more photos. For CA site, you don't get more than what you see and you have to email them to get all the photos and any extra build sheets (if available from the seller).

I got mine out of TX and paid the price as there was a lot of interest. Ford vans are only getting higher in price as they don't make them anymore. Asset appreciation but I'm keeping mine for as long as I can and I believe I would be able to get a very high price in the future if the miles aren't too many. Doing some engine work on the 6L to make it last that long, long time.

It's a sweet ride and the prices reflect that. Over the last couple of years of looking, I just felt like fewer and fewer were going on the market as current owners realize what they have and want too hold onto them. The SMB "classic" doesn't appear to be going very far and the price will just be too high. That too is part of the reason I paid a premium for a good, low mileage '09.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Well, if you want to see crazy, go to the gowesty site and check out the prices the Westfalias have SOLD for. Eye opening for sure.

Link: Vehicle Sales History | GoWesty | Parts for VW Vanagon, Eurovan, and Bus

Old 12-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtanddogfur View Post

IS RIGHT!!
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #26

Holy Moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to show this to my wife to prove that I'm not crazy on what I'm spending on my van
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #27

Am surprised that they let you sort the list.
Highest cost - 1990 Syncro full camper, 126k miles, $118,000.
Lowest cost - 1997 Eurovan full camper, 223k miles, $22,864.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Well, if you want to see crazy, go to the gowesty site and check out the prices the Westfalias have SOLD for. Eye opening for sure.
Well, to be fair, these are restored VWs.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #29

Here's my .02 FWIW
Here in the Denver area, 4x4 vans are stupid expensive and most are assembled by low paid mechanics using junk yard parts. Looked at a 05 E150 cargo with a 4.6L, converted to 4x4 by a van shop, had 110k on it. $35000. No interior. SMH
Unfortunately, as long as millennials are spending their parents money on these, the prices will stay high in this area.
I paid $14k for my '10 E350 and will work on it myself. Much cheaper that way. Next year I may convert to 4x4. At that time, I'll go to the JY and get what I need.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #30

I sold my 1988 VW Westy (2wd) back in 2005 for around $10k (included a spare rebuilt engine) here in the Philadelphia area. It was in perfect condition. I probably could have gotten double that out on the West Coast at the time :-(

Thankfully I got a great deal on the SMB I replaced it with, so it worked out...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote