Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: 110V mini-fridge and microwave install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
Ok you guys got me convinced to go the route of a 12V cooler/fridge.

I still want a cheap way to use a small microwave without spending $1000 bucks.

Running a heavy load like a microwave is what it is while away from shore power. Remember, you need to supply about 60+ DC amps to run the thing if using an inverter. Maybe a generator is in your life. Use the generator when you need the MW. I've made cheap battery boxes with simple DC outlets for 50 bucks not counting the cost of the battery. You can get a good AGM battery for about 2-300 bucks. That will run the fridge and can be charged up via the vehicles 12vDC outlet. Even your cig lighter can run the fridge but you might wake up to a no start situation when using the starting battery to run stuff. That's why a standalone 12v DC battery is best to have on board. Leave your dome light on overnight and the engine might not start the next day if the batteries life is on the downhill run. I'd never rely on my starting battery to run stuff while in the backcountry. Been there and done that by just running the stereo in my pickup years ago and it wasn't good. Middle of nowhere and no help is a jacked up feeling.
I do use my MW in the van, but there are times when a stove is a better choice.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #12

Re: 110V mini-fridge and microwave install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
Ok you guys got me convinced to go the route of a 12V cooler/fridge.

I still want a cheap way to use a small microwave without spending $1000 bucks.

Damian: Both your fridge and microwave have data labels with input power (watts) or current (amps) on them somewhere. The smallest microwaves are 700W output power, usually about 900-1000W input power. You can run these with a 1000-1500W inverter no problem. If you don't have house batteries, then you will need to run the alternator (engine) when using the inverter or else your starting battery will die very quickly.

If your microwave is house-sized (1000W-1200W output power, 1300-1500W input power) even a 1500W inverter will struggle with just a starting battery unless you are running the engine. Running one of these off of a starting battery (if it works at all) will kill the battery in a very short time measured in minutes, not many minutes.

A 700W microwave is $59-$69 all over the place, Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.

A 1000W-2000W inverter can be purchased for $300-$400 these days (some models). These typically won't have the shore power relay or charge your batteries, but they will run appliances with enough battery power.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... x+inverter
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote