Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Grabbed a pair of rear pop-out windows this morning at a Pick-n-Pull. Coincidentally, they were having a 50% off sale so got the pair for about $50 OTD.

They are clear glass with aftermarket tint on them that is peeling. Any tips on removing that tint or will a tinting shop be able to do that easily when I have them re-tinted?

Not sure if I'll use it but I also grabbed the pop-out window for the 40 side door for another $25.

Also if anyone else in Sf Bay Area or Sacramento is interested, as of yesterday there was a set of clear glass rear pop-out windows at the Fairfield P-n-P. Bunch of stickers on the windows but looked like all hardware was there.
That's one hell of a deal - congrats. Had to remove tint once...it's a PITA but you can do it yourself. It'll save you quite a few bucks at the tint shop.

If you don't use that 40 pop-out, send me a PM if you have ALL the hardware.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
That's one hell of a deal - congrats. Had to remove tint once...it's a PITA but you can do it yourself. It'll save you quite a few bucks at the tint shop.

If you don't use that 40 pop-out, send me a PM.
So any tips on removing the existing tint?

Saw a 40 pop-out at Fairfield PnP also. For some reason I thought they were rare, but saw them at both Fairfield and Newark (where I bought mine).
Old 07-17-2016, 12:43 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
So any tips on removing the existing tint?

Saw a 40 pop-out at Fairfield PnP also. For some reason I thought they were rare, but saw them at both Fairfield and Newark (where I bought mine).
Not really. Had to do it many years ago on a broken window. It won't come off in one piece. I didn't use any heat, but I did it in Texas so the heat was built in. Still probably better to do it yourself instead of paying someone. A heat gun certainly couldn't hurt. Have a lot of razor blades handy.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:48 AM   #64

Great score Joe!

If you can, take some pictures of the windows to remember how the hardware attaches, then remove all the hardware so you are down to just glass. If you have a large enough container to soak them in water overnight, that helps. Then razor blades. If no large container, then squirt water on the tint and let it soak as much as possible, a large soaked wet towel laid on the tint can also work. Best to do this over a tarp or paper as the tint flakes are messy.

Hope you got the screw plate (the one for the latch screws) that is inside the door. Also, get the interior plastic trims (and mounting tangs/brackets for those windows, they have the recesses for the latches.

If you are up for it, please let me know the next time you headed to a PnP, I need a few small things that are not worth a special trip . Thxs!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #65

Thanks Ray.

Got the screw plates but not any plastic trim. The donor van was an old conversion van with a lot of interior woodwork. It did have plastic trim, but not the stock type. It was more like the SMB stuff with mini blinds mounted and had a soft almost fuzzy finish. Had to destroy two of them anyway to get at the window since two doors wouldn't open.

Note that I don't recall seeing any old vans in my travels with stock interior window trim like the current window vans do. Here's a pic of my prior E150 with pop-open widows but no trim. Are you saying such trim does exist? Does it closely match the grey trim of current vans?

I've been given serious thought to doing my own window trim anyway when I get to that stage.

Thanks for the tint removal tips. They might fit in my concrete mixing tub.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1110.jpg  
Old 07-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #66

The trims exist on the pass vans but are hard to find in good condition. Even if the wrong color they can be painted.

If anyone is interested in the SMB style window trims (just the plastic pcs, still looking for the shades), I can get them. Not cheap and shipping is just as crazy. Around $280 +/- shipped for the complete set of four pcs They come in grey only, so have to be painted if you want s different color.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #67

I've removed tint before, and it wasn't hard. Lift a corner with a razor blade and peel off the film. Then spray the adhesive left on the window with soapy water (it's water soluble) and let it sit for a few minutes to soften it. You may want to keep spraying it a couple of times a minter or two apart. Then take a razor blade and skim off the softened adhesive. Wash off remainder with soapy water and towel. That's all I had to do. I've done this on several cars I bought that had tint.
Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #68

A local shop here in SD asked twenty bucks per to remove aftermarket tint on a vehicle of mine. That seemed reasonable.

I ended up using a garment steamer and a razor blade to remove it at home (see Youtube). It removed the old purple-ish, bubbled tint film and glue fairly easily. Maybe a steam iron could perform the same function as the garment steamer.
killacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #69

WOOO, I knew a online web sale many handy tint and wrap tools, If you wanna to know, I could tell you
News maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:49 AM   #70

Pop-out window seems a good idea. But I pray that they will remain intact for long time taking into consideration its protruding nature. What about single or double sliding window tilts? Will they meet your requirements? There are few things to be kept in mind while replacing your windows as mentioned in this blog https://www.clerawindows.com/blog/wh...-your-windows/. Most window and door installation services caution that durability should be considered before replacing any window
MichaelMPerez is offline   Reply With Quote