Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
Has anybody added the pop outs to a van that wasnt equipped with windows at all? Ours is a full panel van (no windows) and I want to add some glass.

Might be odd, but I think I only want to glass one side, leaving the other windowless.
I think you may be better off buying a door with glass and converting that.
The exterior body panel is very different depending on if there is factory glass or not making it very hard to convert, as there is a lot of body work to perform.
Doors are usually quite cheap at scrap yards.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #52

I had a hunch about that...

A little off topic, but does anyone know of a small opening window that would fit the doors? I looked on CRL and came up dry.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
I had a hunch about that...

A little off topic, but does anyone know of a small opening window that would fit the doors? I looked on CRL and came up dry.
According to CRL the non opening windows to put in a rear van door are 23x19.
So assuming anything smaller than that fits, here are a few :-
HTW20013
VW8206
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #54

I found these pics in my files. Way back when I was searching for a van, I asked GTRV about this (as there were a few van candidates without door glass), and they sent the pics.

Inoperable, and to me they look "wrong". Fortunately, we were able to find a cargo van with side and rear glass. Don't know if there are other options out there for aftermarket windows, but I agree with SheepShagger that pick-a-part replacement doors may be your best bet.

Cheers,
Brent
Attached Thumbnails
door glass 1.jpg   door glass 2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2016, 04:41 AM   #55
Wbp

After checking out this thread could not help myself had to go to the you pick yard find some pop out windows. Found a set in an old conversion van one had tint film and the other had been spray painted black. They had all the hardware so I pull them took about 15 minutes pretty easy. Took them home clean the frames and removed paint and tint they turn out great so I installed them very happy with results. I am getting all the windows tinted this week. Thanks everyone for the posts there is always great information here.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
I put the pop-out windows in on Tuesday. They came out very well. I much prefer the new darker tint glass and I also did the screen mod while I had all the trim removed. The stuff under the trim needed a pretty good cleaning anyway. Lots of dust in and around the rear windows. Looking forward to a more ventilated summer!
Got any pictures of the screen mod?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Got any pictures of the screen mod?

There's a how-to thread of my screen mod with photos on the forum. I forget the title offhand. I put mine in the plastic trim surround rather than between the window and body as shown here.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #58

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
There's a how-to thread of my screen mod with photos on the forum. I forget the title offhand. I put mine in the plastic trim surround rather than between the window and body as shown here.

Got it! Thanks!

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...6.html#p106936
Old 07-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #59

Grabbed a pair of rear pop-out windows this morning at a Pick-n-Pull. Coincidentally, they were having a 50% off sale so got the pair for about $50 OTD.

They are clear glass with aftermarket tint on them that is peeling. Any tips on removing that tint or will a tinting shop be able to do that easily when I have them re-tinted?

Not sure if I'll use it but I also grabbed the pop-out window for the 40 side door for another $25.

Also if anyone else in Sf Bay Area or Sacramento is interested, as of yesterday there was a set of clear glass rear pop-out windows at the Fairfield P-n-P. Bunch of stickers on the windows but looked like all hardware was there.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #60

Man I wish the yards up here had those for so cheap!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote