Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Solar Setup

Well, barring any unforeseen circumstances, I’ll be picking up my 2003 Ford E250 SMB RB 2WD this Friday! Was able to make a surprisingly good deal with this dealership, so I’m hoping everything is in top shape.

Anyways, now begins the extensive list of improvements. Which, at the very top, is solar.

I’ve been reviewing the many threads on the topic and Eric has been helping me out with some suggestions as well. I’ve put together what I think makes the most sense, but I was hoping I could get some input to make sure I’m going about this the right way.

Here’s what I currently have:
A. 2000 Watt TripLitte Inverter
B. UB40 1222000 12V Battery (not sure of age or condition – this was the info the dealer provided, said they will review load results)
C. InstaHot water heater
D. Fridge, not sure of specs yet, but SMB installed
E. Needs: would like to be able to work on a laptop for a few hours a day, keep the fridge cool for a few days at a time, rarely use the hot water heater without it running, have some lights on occasionally, use the stereo occasionally, charge phones at night.

1. Panels –2 100W panels:
-Thinking maybe I should go with higher watt panels, but they seem to jump up in price significantly. Hoping these are sufficient.

2. Controller:
-Seems to be a pretty high end controller which should cover my needs. Not sure if there are any cheaper options available that would be equivalent…still looking.

3. Wiring – not sure what I need as far as connectors, wiring, housing, etc.

4. Mounting - considering a couple of ideas. Most likely would like to use pre-existing PH bolts, replace with 4 longer bolts. If I go this route, how should I attach the panels to the angle aluminum as it will be narrower than the width of the panels. Also, should I reseal all of the bolts with new rubber gaskets (should I do the other bolts on the roof while I’m at it), and do I need to use anything beyond the rubber gasket (like some sort of sealant)? Forgive my TERRIBLE drawing.

5. Running wire, not sure where the ideal location for my controller would be. Thinking maybe here (close access to inverter, can drill through taller cabinet, out of the way).

6. Also, trying to figure out the cleanest way to get the wiring into the cab. This is my biggest concern. Want to avoid drilling as much as possible and want to ensure that I do this efficiently and correctly. Any ideas here are appreciated. I saw some cable junction boxes on previous threads that looked pretty cool...seemed like the output from the solar connected right into that thing and it had a nice seal on the bottom (though my roof is rhino lined). Beyond the actual act of getting it into the cab, I'm trying to figure out where it goes from there/how to actually get it to the controller.

Finally, I know I’m new to the forum – but if anyone in the SoCal area has some free time and wants to lend a hand, I’d be more than happy to provide some form of compensation (beer, cash, help you with your taxes, haha).

As always, thanks for all of the help!
Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote