Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

Re: All In One Double DIN Unit - Kenwood or Pioneer?

If you have a smart phone, have you considering using it as your nav and connecting it via bluetooth to your headunit for audio? Google maps is probably the best nav out there.

I bought one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JT ... UTF8&psc=1
and it works really well at holding the phone and fitting in the cup holder. I use it for pretty much every road trip now whether I use the nav on my phone or not. Its convenient for changing songs on pandora or glancing at the phone for whatever notices you get.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
Thanks all for the quick responses.
I did not know that the backup camera did not take the same time to load as the NAV. I too like a rotary knob and along with the Garmin NAV interface that was one of the real plusses for the Kenwood. Thanks!
Do all of the rear camera monitors have lines that are configurable as far as you know?
How is the NAV system in the Pioneer models?
I have a Kenwood double-DIN DVD headunit (no nav) and a Kenwood CMOS-220 camera feeding into it. No guidelines on the screen. Not sure if the lines are a function of the headunit or the camera. I'm guessing the headunit.

Just installed the camera today, as a matter of fact. I had to replace my older Kenwood CMOS-200 camera because somehow it got water in the CCD sensor over last winter and I couldn't get it dried out. Grrr. Had to rerun all the wires because the connectors were different.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
Thanks all for the quick responses.
I did not know that the backup camera did not take the same time to load as the NAV. I too like a rotary knob and along with the Garmin NAV interface that was one of the real plusses for the Kenwood. Thanks!
Do all of the rear camera monitors have lines that are configurable as far as you know?
How is the NAV system in the Pioneer models?
My Kenwood CMOS210 does NOT have the lines. I think the 220 and the 320 do, though.

A quick look at Kenwood's site seems to show that you need a Kenwood head unit that is in the Exelon series to configure the lines.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #14

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
If you have a smart phone, have you considering using it as your nav and connecting it via bluetooth to your headunit for audio? Google maps is probably the best nav out there.

I bought one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JT ... UTF8&psc=1
and it works really well at holding the phone and fitting in the cup holder. I use it for pretty much every road trip now whether I use the nav on my phone or not. Its convenient for changing songs on pandora or glancing at the phone for whatever notices you get.
I use one of these to mount my phone.
http://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-MagicM...ds=magic+mount
It works better than I could have hoped and I now have them in every vehicle. They are cheap, strong and amazingly versatile.

Right now I use my phone or another portable Garmin device for navigation. My phone is too small for me to see well from distance, for navigation, though I do like google maps and waze. My main issue is that while I want a rear view backup camera, I do not want to add an additional monitor for viewing. So, having a NAV system within the stereo makes for the fewest items stuck to the dash, or overhead though it is not the least expensive way to go.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #15

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
My Kenwood CMOS210 does NOT have the lines. I think the 220 and the 320 do, though.
A quick look at Kenwood's site seems to show that you need a Kenwood head unit that is in the Exelon series to configure the lines.
Thanks photographix, 86Scotty and Brian W too! I just spent some time looking at the Kenwood DNX572BH, on Kenwood's website, and I was pleased to see that it does support lines from aftermarket cameras, though it is at the bottom of Kenwood's line of systems with NAV. It is a bit daunting to see that $850 is their bottom line NAV system, and incomplete at that.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 03-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #16

Re: Kenwood or Pioneer? All In One Double DIN Unit

Depending on your tolerance for risk-taking, a lot of times you can find used flat-screen headunits for decent prices on ebay or CL, since many folks who buy these always like to have the latest gizmo and upgrade often, pull them out when they turn in a leased car, etc.

Of course, don't buy one that looks like it was ripped out of someone else's car! Look for one where the person has the original box, or at least the manuals.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #17

I feel you on the extra clutter and gadgetry on the dash. Having everything built in seems nice, but I can't justify the price, especially when you have to pay to update the maps. When I use the nav on my phone, the spoken directions are more important to me than the seeing the display so thats why I mentioned having bluetooth connectivity. Hopefully you can find a happy median in price and usability in the unit you find. I'm sure the backup camera alone will tip the scales to being worth it.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Kenwood or Pioneer? All In One Double DIN Unit

This is what I use, have a ball mounted in each vehicle. Friends with the owners of Nite Ize, lots of cool gadgets.
Nite Ize STCK-11-R8 Steelie Car Mount Kit for Cellphones - Retail Packaging by Nite Ize http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAQKRHY/ref ... cvb1Y0B01R
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAQKRHY/ref ... cvb1Y0B01R
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #19

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
When I use the nav on my phone, the spoken directions are more important to me than the seeing the display
Perhaps I should shift my focus a bit and concentrate more on the audio side of things regarding NAV on phone.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #20

I have a Pioneer double head unit with nav, back up camera etc and we have it wired to a mounted screen in the back for the kids to watch movies if we are putting a lot of miles on road tripping. The backup camera works great and I don't have any messages that show up at all, the nav has always worked fine as does the Bluetooth audio. The mic works shockingly well for calls too and I usually don't have much of a problem unless I'm at highway speeds. Driving around town even with the diesel its fine. I did purposely go with a model that has a rotary nob for volume and a few basic function hard buttons and I'm glad I did. Plus it was cheaper which was an added bonus. All in all I've been pleased. I'm happy to get you the model number if you're still considering Pioneer.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote